Sign in to follow this  

Another 06 review. Comparisions to other bikes.

I went to I5mx on Friday morning and to Hungry Valley for Friday afternoon and Saturday. I brought 3 bikes with me, my 06 , my 01 with a Procircuit motor (280, Hotcams, Fully ported, completely gone through 14 hours ago) My 01 also has a full 04 suspension including forks, swingarm, shock, linkage, etc. In addition it has all the 04 bodywork. It feels very much like my 05 450. It also has Enzo Suspension setup for Grand Prix.

The 06 is modifed with new wheels and D756 tires front and rear. Pictures are here: http://net.matrixwebs.com/bike/

The 450 has FMF megabomb and Factory 4 exhaust. It also has Enzo suspension setup for fast Grand Prix type racing.

I just sold my 05 CRF 250 with an Enzo suspension also. I could not get used to it. When I crashed I always crashed front weel first. On the YZ's I crash usually with the rear wheel. Not the bikes fault, it was mine.

(Grand Prix mixes motocross with other types of racing, in this case it is typically desert like)

I currently race Novice level, but I have earned enough transfers to probably transfer out in two weeks. I'm pretty fast in desert like conditions and decent in motocross.

Anyways I started out on the 06 at the track. Right away it felt very small. It feels smaller then my CRF. Sitting side by side it was shorter then both my old bikes, both at the front and the rear. I felt I was able to adapt to the bike very quickly. Within 3 laps I was able to jump most the doubles and tables. Within 8 laps I could jump everything there. The front tire felt very planted to me. There were some dry hardpack spots and I never had any pushing or trouble at all. In the ruts it felt amazing. Just stuck right in. In the air it felt very light. A small comment here, it jumped much easier then my other bikes. I think this has something to do with the valving. I over shot a landing once and landed way out in the flat. The bikes soaked it right up. It was great. The front fork on this thing is so good it makes me speechless.

Now the bad news, I liked it so much I never rode the other ones at the track. But I did in the desert. All back to back.

The trails I rode there are Proghorn (sandy and hardpack), Freeman (sandy wash), Cow trail (hardpack), Rattler (was freshly groomed), Mesa (hardpack). Anyways it has rained there in the last week, and was very wet. Most the sand whoops are gone. Conditions were great.

Rode the 450 first and of course it felt great. Rode the 01 next and it felt very similar to the 450 except a little slower on the top. Both bikes are geared for more top speed. (you can do that with a 280). In comparision the 06 has a 50 tooth rear. It was all I had when I put the new wheels on.

The 06 worked great on the trails. I ride very hard, I time all my runs so I can work on speed. I also know Gorman very well. The suspesion soaked up some big G outs with no problem. I never experienced any head shake. Both my other bikes have Scotts dampers. If you have ever switched from a bike with one to a bike without one, you typically feel more shake. Not this bike. It felt great in the sand washes going as fast as the bike will go. The front tire stuck right there. Sag is set at 100mm.

I would race it just the way it is. The power even felt on par with the modified 01. Not quite as much torque but right there. The suspension is wonderful.

Just my opinion.

I also noticed how small the bike felt under me. I was really surprised. Its a full size bike, but once you are riding it, it feels small, almost like a play bike. I'm only 5'7" so I'm loving every minute of the perceived small size. Honestly, I don't know how someone 6'+ could ride a bike like this. I think it would be cramped for them.

The clutch did seem a little sticky.

Thanks for comparison report :banghead:

Looks like you really like the 06 WITHOUT any suspension or motor work - that's great news :banghead:

The clutch issue, is it the same drag as what we've seen in the past that is fixable with the washer and/or basket fix? Or are you talking about shifting stickiness?

Oh, one more thing, when are you going to get its REAL weight for us? 🤣:busted:

Honestly, I don't know how someone 6'+ could ride a bike like this. I think it would be cramped for them.

Well i am over 6'3" and i love the way this bike feels. I am going to put on some fastway pegs and set them a little lower, but overall i ahve no problems with the size. I got used to it very quickly. This bike is the most confidence inspiring bike i have ever ridden. Tall people will be fine.