Sign in to follow this  

Anyone crazy stupid like me?

Some friends and I were tearing up the desert yesterday riding single track trails and washes. After about 40 miles, we came across a freshly graded dirt road out in the middle of BFE. It looked like they were starting to put in a housing development. 40 miles from the nearest highway?

Anyway, this dirt road was smooth as glass and straight as an arrow for almost 3 miles. My friends decided this would be a great place to see who has the fastest bike. From a rolling start we all opened the throttles as much as we could all the way down the road. After I reached about 80, things felt a little wobbly, and I couldn't help thinking "I don't like this, I better slow down." But, my friends kept going, and going, and going. So, stupid me, I kept going too. Isn't peer pressure a :banghead: ?

I finally backed off the throttle at 90mph as the wobble was getting too much for me. :banghead: With a pucker factor of 10 all I could think was DEATHWOBBLE! I was scared and pumped at the same time. I don't know if I will be going that fast on dirt again though.

Am I stupid crazy or what? Anyone else like to throw caution to the wind and just go as fast as they can on the trails? I'd like to hear some of your crazy stupid experiences, and what was going through your mind at the time.

Thanks for listening, and sorry for the long post.

Wolf,

Perhaps...I am. I'm not a speed kind of guy. I ride mostly tight twisty single track desert trails. Lots of rocks, dips, and sand. I like the technical stuff. Not used to wide open roads with no speed limit.

Adding a steering stabilizer eliminated that "tankslapper" sensation for me.I love that head tucked behind the bars WOT wondering what comes first the rev limiter or the next corner sensation.WAHOOOOOO

What type of steering stableizer are you using?

looking to see if anyone has one that is a bolt on for the SM's.

GPR or Scott??

also seeing if the one on front mount below the headlight will work.

This is for the general street bike model.

I got my bike going really fast in the sand once....

I hit something and almost ate shit. So I know the feeling.

sounds like just a regular day on the ol' drz to me :banghead: the best thing for me when that happens is apply forward pressure to both sides of the bar, and really just feel it out.... more gas usually helps, but when it comes time to slow down, get on the rear brake and lean back getting weight off the front. that's what I do, but I'm no pro.

Nate,

I like riding in sandy washes, and I know what you mean about "hitting something". Where'd that rock come from? :banghead: I am used to the wiggly feeling riding in sand, and enjoy steering my bike with my butt!

I have read many positive things about a stabilizer, might have to get me one. Any recommendations guys?

Wolf,

Perhaps...I am. I'm not a speed kind of guy. I ride mostly tight twisty single track desert trails. Lots of rocks, dips, and sand. I like the technical stuff. Not used to wide open roads with no speed limit.

easy buddy, I'm just giving you a hard time. :banghead:

my "S" does the same thing , I just hang on and go faster. but as you pointed out.... I AM a speed guy. I've gone fast in or on anything I could get my mits on as long as I can remember. :banghead:

i know what you mean,go fast and start to wobble.if you usually ride tight stuff is the bike set up for that because if it is then that could be a good reason that happened.drop your forks in the triples and lenthen the wheelbase(put an extra link or two in the chain an lengthen)stablizers really help as well :banghead:

i remember a time on my rm250,WOT down a logging rd,came up on a herd of cows,well they all started to clear the way🤣 except this one it ziged and changed its mind then zaged right in front of me. :busted: hit it doing well fast ,air born for a good 40 ft landed on my back in the ditch,grabed a rock to throw at the dam cow :busted: and well all these cows were gone makes me wonder if i got koed :banghead:

What type of steering stableizer are you using?

looking to see if anyone has one that is a bolt on for the SM's.

GPR or Scott??

also seeing if the one on front mount below the headlight will work.

This is for the general street bike model.

I'm using a underbar mount Scotts[i have bar risers] If you phone scotts they'll sort you out.Seems like an expensive mod but its really worth it. I did a toss up yosh or stabilizer and I'm sure glad I went stabilizer because it's awesome. :banghead:

Some friends and I were tearing up the desert yesterday riding single track trails and washes. After about 40 miles, we came across a freshly graded dirt road out in the middle of BFE. It looked like they were starting to put in a housing development. 40 miles from the nearest highway?

Anyway, this dirt road was smooth as glass and straight as an arrow for almost 3 miles. My friends decided this would be a great place to see who has the fastest bike. From a rolling start we all opened the throttles as much as we could all the way down the road. After I reached about 80, things felt a little wobbly, and I couldn't help thinking "I don't like this, I better slow down." But, my friends kept going, and going, and going. So, stupid me, I kept going too. Isn't peer pressure a :banghead: ?

I finally backed off the throttle at 90mph as the wobble was getting too much for me. :banghead: With a pucker factor of 10 all I could think was DEATHWOBBLE! I was scared and pumped at the same time. I don't know if I will be going that fast on dirt again though.

Am I stupid crazy or what? Anyone else like to throw caution to the wind and just go as fast as they can on the trails? I'd like to hear some of your crazy stupid experiences, and what was going through your mind at the time.

Thanks for listening, and sorry for the long post.

Just out of curiosity...What were your friends riding?

easy buddy, I'm just giving you a hard time. :banghead:

Hey Wolf Child,

No offense taken here. I like the feeling of speed, just not the wobbles. With 2 teenage boys and pushin 40, I can't afford to take too many chances. I took a spill (sep shoulder) earlier this year and it made me realize I'm not 20 anymore. I'm just glad that I can get up on my DRZ and ride, ride, ride.

Later...

Just out of curiosity...What were your friends riding?

One was on a YZ426 (I think) and the other was on his new CR650L. BTW, the YZ won hands down. :banghead:

i was racing my dad when we first got our DRZ's done on a dry lake in BFE. doing about 75, head tucked, hit an "invisible" dirt mound about as high as a curb. it had me doing a nose wheelie for about 250 feet, past the campground, almost into the bushes

and another time i was on the same dry lake after it had rained and there was a good foot thick of slippery clay mud about 1/2 mile long. i hit that doing about 60, 4th gear pinned, and got to the middle and started sinking. got out of it o.k., but ended up taking about 20 lbs of mud with me :banghead:

Just got a Drz two days ago so I don't have biek stories but.. Every now and then I race my BMW and one day on a racetrack I was in pusuit of a porsche gt3. The driver was a complete chicken because a 540 sport should not be able to hold with a gt3 in the turns. We hit the straightaway after a highspeed turn and on the track sterring wheel shimmey is equal to the death wobble on bikes. I tore the rubber off the tire and it was riding on the steel belts. NO way was that gt3 getting away.. with sparks coming from the front driverside tire i went down the straights at a 167 mph. As hardcore as I thought I was, that gt3 pulled away like it NOS under teh hood. I'm sure i was closer in the rear view mirror that he thought i'd be though!!

:banghead: Butt F@ck!n Egypt🤣 AKA the middle of nowhere :banghead:

Yup! That's where we be! That's one nice thing about AZ...lots of BFE to ride in! :busted:

I always say I am going to just ride a "fun" pace. On my own I have no problem. As soon as I am riding with buddies, it turns into a race. Of course, everyone says "oh yeah, just taking it easy, not pushing it too hard"...but in reality we are all pushing it pretty hard. :banghead::banghead:

Mike