Sign in to follow this  

Need advice on my used DRZ 250: keep or sell?

I bought this bike a year and a half ago for $3000 and it was a good price because it had a lot of goodies (T-4, plate, tag riser, pro-taper bars, barkbusters, etc...)

But now I'd like to sell it but it has a few issues, I have to have the engine checked and fixed.

It is scraped and there are no plastic kits for that bike. All the decals are gone...

What do you suggest?

1- Keep it as a "guest bike"

2- Sell as is for $1000

3- Fix and sell for $2000 knowing it may go down to $1500 pretty quickly

4- Make it a supermoto and see what it gives in the lite class (but I don't have the money, nor the time)

What is your idea? What do you advise I do?

Of course if someone wants to give me the $1000 and take care of the shipping, no problem.

It's a good bike, it was just ridden a lot and had a few falls... It's not a dirt bike that slept in a garage and was ridden twice (that's my stepson's bike -before we bought it).

Also I think it could make a decent beginner's bike for Supermoto, knowing that it pulls quite badly from the start and that it's already pretty low by nature.

I would say keep it for a backup bike. As good as these bikes are, they depreciate very quickly. It may be hard to sell too.

What is wrong with the engine?

The engine is losing oil between the cylinder and the main frame.

I have a gasket kit but not too much time to fix it myself.

I guess the backup bike will be the best idea: a bike that anybody pretty much can ride...

Seriously thinking about it... Carb would go for at least $450...

I will see how much it would all bring it.

If you decide to part it out I would be interested in some of the parts. thanks