Sign in to follow this  

Could a KTM250sxf be a Vet's dream?

As a Vet racer the 250f has too little horsepower and the 450 has too much. So I have been racing 250 2-strokes, but... I keep hearing how much power the 250sxf is compared to the Asian 250fs. Does it bridge the power gap between the 250 to the 450s?

If you can make take the 250sxf, with it's great handling characteristics, and make it produce 40 plus horsepower, could it be competive in the GP/ MX scene. With the 250sxf you'll be able to ride it harder for longer, while a 450 can wear you out and make you lazy. (It made me lazy in the pass.)

It not, does the two-stroke still have a home?

I'm also a vet rider that's been disappointed with the power of the 250 thumpers in the past. I'm waiting for my SXF to arrive at the dealer, and I can't wait for it to get here, but I don't expect it to displace my 450 in the garage or on the track.

From what I've read here and in the mags, it sounds like the SXF has tendency to go flat at high rpms. My previous 250 was a Yamaha, and it supposedly has more overrev than the orange bike, but I still found it lacking in overrev. They rev high, they just don't pull strongly up there. I expect the KTM to be a fun bike to ride, but I also expect it to feel like a 250, not a 450.

You can also consider a overbore kit for a 250f. I dont know how much the KTM can be overbored but some of the Japanese 250fs can be upped to around 300cc. You will get more power and torque but still have the feel of the smaller bike.

the ktm 250sxf is a great bike i race 250A now and in the begining of the year i had a crf 250 and once i got the ktm the power is awesome. it easilys keeps with the 250 2 strokes.

HT-racing is working on a 305 kit for sxf. It's up and running now. You guys put a needle on it though: 250Fs are underpowered, espcially at altitude and 450s are pigs.

The AMA is driving design with their arbitrary rule set, so we don't have a 200lb 350, like we should. I have complained to them and suggest you do too.

A 250f is a 250f, sure the ktm makes more but not that much more and its not 40 hp. overboring them seems like it would take an already high maintenance motor and make it possibly more unreliable especially screaming them in the desert for gp's. if you already owned a 250f and it wasnt enough another one probably wont be either, and i dont believe it will keep up with a 250 two stroke with the same rider aboard of course. I would say 250 2 stroke or current 450. in some parts my 450 wears me out more, in others my 250f did as i had to work harder to achieve the same result so imo its a catch 22. I would go with what suits you the best, everybodys a little different!

The 250SXF is probubly the best 250 4 stroke out there. I would not expect it to keep up with a 250 2 stroke, it may? keep up with the 200?? I would anticipate that the HT coming soon 305 kit would be a big boost but if race rules are not giving you an edge on the two stroke ride the 2 stroke.