Sign in to follow this  

1996 xr 400 knocking

i just now noticed a knock in the motor. it sounds higher up but is too loud to be a valve it sounds more serious. i just recently bought the bike so i dont know if the the lubrication system is working. i checked the check bolt and i cant tell whether or not oil is level with the case anyone have this happen before? know what it could be? thanx my email is honda4trx@sbcglobal.net

It may be a camshaft bearing that is worn. This will cause a strong knocking noise from the top end. Take the rocker cover off and inspect the camshaft for free play.

Did it do this sound when you first got it? The xr400's seem to all have some kind of engine noise. I have always heard some kind of clicking lower than the vavles, since the day i bought mine. You may want find another xr400 just to compare the engine noises. Just a hopeful thought :banghead:

:banghead::banghead: Sounds to me like you ran her low on oil,if you are checking the oil level on the motor,did you check the oil level at top of the frame-steering neck as well?

Make sure you have oil going to the top of the head. Loosen the banjo bolt on the steel line going to the head cover with the engine running. Oil should start pouring out immediately.