Sign in to follow this  

HS Football vs. Motorcycle Racing?

Anybody have the same experience with your son racing motorcycles and playing high school football and always hearing how dangerous racing bikes are? Our son has been racing Hare Scrambles 3 seasons now at a fairly high level of competition(3rd overall in Open "B" on a CRF250X) and also playing high school football (varsity starter as a sophomore) and all me and the wife get is how dangerous racing is. The boy has NEVER had to go to the hospital from the racing crashes/get-offs, but has racked up frequent flier miles at the emergency room/doctors office from football.Broken leg,dislocated shoulder,torn chest cartilage,sprained ankle,and other "minor" injuries.Even the football coach doesn't like him racing because"he might get hurt." We feel that at least in racing, nobody is really trying to hurt you but football it seems the object at the even the high school level is to maim and destroy.Public impression of the danger of racing is so far out of touch from reality that it's laughable. He likes football and we would never stop him from playing,but more and more it becomes obvious which of the varied sports interest will have the greatest health impact on him later in life.If any parent out there is hesitant about allowing a son our daughter to race, please reconsider based on the "real" dangers vs. perceived ones.Thanks for space to vent.

p.s. Daughter also tore up two knees,broke a wrist, broke fingers,etc. playing 3 varsity sports in high school, so it's just not the boys- she played like she wanted to win. :banghead:

tell them to shut up. they have no say in how you raise your kid.

Well, my dad won't let me race b/c of V. wrestling in the winter, and H.S. soccer/weight league football in the fall.

But your right w/ football, sooner or later, he will kill his knees. He can take the injuries now, but not later. i think football is just as dangerous as MX, probably more than scrambles.

rubenz, they don't have a say but they do have an influence.

my dad rather me race than play on the jv soccer team, in the league they slide tackle and i had broken my leg last year, so i said i wanted to start racing more than playing soccer, so my family and i really got into it and nopw treat it better than anyother sport.

Keep in mind that they may not think that MX is more dangerous than football. A lot of schools don't let their players play any sports, just because there is more danger of them getting hurt. If your son is a star player on his team, all the coach is thinking about is trying to keep him from getting hurt so he can keep playing ball.

i think mx has bigger injuries. in football ur break an arm or leg ocassionally sumthin big. but mx one little mistake and ur dead that easy

**** high school sports they are a waste of time its not like there gonna be the next great thing motocross teaches us kids everything from responsibility to dedication and im in highschool so u know what im talking about

Both football and motorcycle racing are great sports. Both are very dangerous. In football, you're suppose to ram heads and bodies into one another. The more vicious the hit, the better (so it seems). You're either on the giving end or receiving end of the punishment.

In motosports, physical contact with others or the ground is definately a probability, but at least it's not the object of the game.

**** high school sports they are a waste of time its not like there gonna be the next great thing motocross teaches us kids everything from responsibility to dedication and im in highschool so u know what im talking about

&%$#@!!? Just because YOU don't like sports (other than mx) don't go bashing what others like. "Being the next great thing" is NOT why most kids play HS sports (I'll bet that's not the reason you MX, is it?) Ever hear of to each his own?

I agree HS sports are a waste of time, at least to me. Used to play them and I didnt like them, then I bought a dirt bike and ever since them Ive been trying to go big. So far its working out. Got a new bike a track behind my house. I was never good at HS sports but I am getting really good at riding mx very fast. Even if I dont go pro at least I know I gave It my all.

umm why are you getting all butt hurt over it? its my personal opinion ive played other sports and enjoyed them but they take up to much time thats why

Both are valuable. I was captain of my highschool football team and being part of a team taught me some of the most valuable lessons in my life. Being part of a team means you must put your team first. If your son/daughter chooses to play a team sport, he/she has made an oath to the team. Risking when you are the only victim is one thing, but risking w/out thinking of your team is selfish. I would never give up riding, but I did stay off the gas a little during the season because I was an important part of my team and did not want to let them down by hurting myself. Team sports and individual sports are both valuable and lessons need to be learned in both.

My son plays State Cup soccer and is a key player on the team. e would get the same reaction from other parents. In fact, the coach was about to tell my son it was soccer of Dirtbike riding... He thought better of it, because I think he knew what my son would choose. The coach was always worried he'd get hurt riding and let the team down by not being able to play at the many tournaments. The funny thing was during last season, he hurt his knee playing with the dog in the yard!! LOL.. They tried to say it was a dirt bike accident... which it wasn't. I don't think they believed us.

I played soccer in high school. I was all CIF for San Diego county. I was recruited to 3 universities to play soccer. I also raced motorcycles.

Team sports suck. Every lame ass power tripping corporate executive i have ever had to deal with 25 years on now acts just like the 2-3 "leaders" we had on our teams. Furthermore the racial discrimination that went on was horrible--the mexicans treated us white dudes as second class players--and the coach was a mexican who always played favorites with 'his people'--the drama and power trips and assorted bs never ended.

----in short my experience has always been that team sports suck.

Racing bikes on the other hand tought me the importance of not relying on others--of self-discipline and of being prepared. No one to let you down. No one to blame but yourself. Lots of valuable preperation time in the garage working on the bikes and learning how to do stuff...

I for one will discourage my kids from playing team sports and hope they migrate to racing off road...

As for danger--lets get real. Kids die racing motocross every weekend. Thousands more are left permanently maimed. Go to any mx event and notice all the dudes in wheel chairs. They are paralyzed. Its similar in desert, HS or whatever type of motorcycle racing.

Football is far safer.

I played soccer in high school. I was all CIF for San Diego county. I was recruited to 3 universities to play soccer. I also raced motorcycles.

Team sports suck. Every lame ass power tripping corporate executive i have ever had to deal with 25 years on now acts just like the 2-3 "leaders" we had on our teams. Furthermore the racial discrimination that went on was horrible--the mexicans treated us white dudes as second class players--and the coach was a mexican who always played favorites with 'his people'--the drama and power trips and assorted bs never ended.

----in short my experience has always been that team sports suck.

Lighten up on us corporate guys.... we're not all like that! I've seen a few too. They usually take care of themselves. :banghead:

I don't race (well I have once) I just ride my but off and do motos with my friends at state park tracks. racing is pretty pointless to me. I'm never gonna be pro or anything. In the more casual respect i think MX might be a little safer. I know lots of people whos dads have bad joints and lasting pains from that "one bad hit they took in HS football." Unless you srew up pretty bad it's hard to get really hurt with a chest protector, pads ect..

Anyway i just do what's fun for me. there's a kid on the football team who used to ride, but now football takes up all his time. Practice your butt off all week just for a one hour game that you have to drive two hours to gey to, seems dumb to me. But different strokes for different folks.

In the end the kid has to do what they love. If they want to race H.S., let them race H.S. and if the want to play ball, let them ball. Tell the coach to shove it

gatdang that is frickin funny right there. Not only did the sentence make little to no sense, but... well the end was just funny.

I would DEFINETELY play football and it absolultely kills me to not play, but my knees are so messed up that one little thing and I would need surgery I just don't want to go through. No matter how fun it would be, in the long run, starting with two terrible knees...

and, your in high school and I guess you don;t know what you are talking about. At a school where sports are competitve and with the right coach, every player out there learns tons of responsibility and dedication. What you said... just seems ignorant.

And I'm in high school so I know what I am talking about :banghead:

Well, after reading all these posts, I guess I have to put my two cents in as well...I played football from micro-pee wee (6yrs old) thru High School. I also raced in the desert in the hey day of the early '70's. Now, I coach at a local High School (my son plays) and still ride, as does my son.

From an athlete's perspective:

I have no cartilage in my knees, a cadaver acl, arthritic knees, ankles, wrists, hands, and shoulders, all from football...and I wouldn't change any of it. As many have said, the lessons learned and bonds made thru team sports last a life time and are a great advantage in the "real world". On the flip side, I have broken a collarbone, a couple of ribs, and a couple of metatarsals in my right foot in all those years of dirt biking.

From a coaches perspective:

As coaches, we DO ask our players who ride (and living in the high desert of so. California, there are several of them), or waterski, or jet ski, or snow board, or any other "adventure/action" sport, to either put the bike/jet ski/snow board up for the season or at least back it off a notch or two. Many of these players are our "key players", and an injury to them negatively impacts the entire team. So far, none have had any problems with this request...although with practice 'till 6:30 4 days a week, game day on Friday, and Saturday morning practice and film, not many of the kids can find the time to ride, anyway.

For most coaches, it's not just action sports, though. A similar situation might be that if a football player was also a swimmer, you wouldn't want them in the pool working out before football practice, because they would be exhausted before they even got to practice. Timing would be off, intensity would be low, strength would be sapped, etc. The bottom line is that in a team sport, coaches don't want anything taking away focus and ability from the members of the team. Really not an unreasonable request, considering that these student athletes asked to participate in this team sport.

You people in highschool that dont like sports should shut it. I had some of my best memories in highschool sports and made some cool friends. Its a good experience for people.