Sign in to follow this  

Which Compact truck is best?

I might be in the markrt for a new truck soon. My old 89 silverado is beginning to show its age, so I'm thinking i might get a compact truck especially for their better fuel economy. The options i must have are 4 Wheel Drive cd player , Air conditoning, automatic tranny

I'm thinking of a Ford Ranger, a Chevy ZR 10(big S-10), Dodge Dakota, or Nissan Frontier.

I would like to have the biggest engine possible in whichever truck i choose.

which one do you think is best?

It's not on your list, but...

photo_2.jpg

Toyota Tacoma, hands down. I would have gotten one insted of the tundra, but I needed more passenger space.

My unbiased opinion, get the TOYOTA :banghead: Hey, the new Tacomas have the 110V AC outlet in the back, don't forget the electrically operated locker differential and basically, a truck with a reputation for being the best compact and having the best resale value to boot. The new 4.0 V6 is rated for close to 250 hp, towing is about 7000 lbs. We didn't even get into sheer dependability. Toyota's are know worldwide for reliability. Now if you looking for the low cost (bottom dollar price) its not going to ever be the Toyota. But you get what you pay for. I'm one of the first to tell you the Toyota's aren't cheap. But i know you don't want cheap.! :banghead:

I would have to go with the Tacoma or the new Frontier with the 4.0 VQ engine.

I would also consider the Dakota with the V8 if you are towing. The new Dakota is a nice truck although it hasn't been out long enough for any indication of reliability.

If you were happy with your Silverado why don't you get another one? The 05 is dramatically better than the 89 and GM is still cutting good deals.

If you're in the market for a brand new truck, you wont be getting a S-10, it was replaced with the Colordo 2 years ago. Its also not a compact anymore, its a midsize truck.

The only compacts left are the Ranger/mazda, the Taco maybe the frontier (not sure if they consider it compact or midsized these days) out of those, the Toyota is the obvious choice. If you're open to something alittle bigger, then I'd recommend the Colorado/Canyon.. damn nice little trucks :banghead:

My unbiased opinion, get the TOYOTA :banghead: Hey, the new Tacomas have the 110V AC outlet in the back, don't forget the electrically operated locker differential and basically, a truck with a reputation for being the best compact and having the best resale value to boot. The new 4.0 V6 is rated for close to 250 hp, towing is about 7000 lbs. We didn't even get into sheer dependability. Toyota's are know worldwide for reliability. Now if you looking for the low cost (bottom dollar price) its not going to ever be the Toyota. But you get what you pay for. I'm one of the first to tell you the Toyota's aren't cheap. But i know you don't want cheap.! :banghead:

i agree go with the toyota

The question should be "is there a compact truck anymore?" certainly not the tacoma, its huge compared to last years tacoma. All the so called compact trucks are getting bigger, its a shame.

The question should be "is there a compact truck anymore?" certainly not the tacoma, its huge compared to last years tacoma. All the so called compact trucks are getting bigger, its a shame.

:banghead: yeah, Ford advertises the Ranger as "america's favorite compact truck" That COULD be because its americas ONLY compact truck these days, :banghead: and even the japanese are building their trucks bigger

I'm real happy with my 2000 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 4-cylinder (stick shift though) 21 MPG around town. It's not going to win any 1/4 mile races, that's for sure - but it's quite a rugged truck and 4wd works very well.

i'm not really looking at getting a brand new truck, i cant afford it. i dont want an 05 silverado either, i'm not a big fan of the 03-05 trucks. i just dont like the way the front looks. i would get like a 99-00 or a 98 though, but they're like 30,000 i think. plus i would like to have better gas milage. I'm considering the Z10 truck, but i dont know much about them. i would like to stick with chevy if i can. If not that then maybe the Ranger. The Dakota is a nice truck, I've wanted one ever since i was a little kid, but i dont know how reliable Dodge is since no one i know has ever had one

Heard good things about the S10's. Good looking truck too. Toyotas are just to expensive new or used.

:banghead: yeah, Ford advertises the Ranger as "america's favorite compact truck" That COULD be because its americas ONLY compact truck these days,🤣 and even the japanese are building their trucks bigger

The Ranger isn't even scheduled for a redesign untill the 2010 model year.:banghead:

I think Ford will stop making the Ranger in a few years, IF (big if) the 2007 Sport-Trac sells like they hope.

MetPunk, I would look at the Tacoma or the new Frontier. Im a Toyota person and would probably lean towards the Tacoma,BUT if the Frontier offered a long bed with this years model,I would probably give the Nissan the edge if I was looking for a mid-size truck..

The Frontier 265 HP VQ (also used in Maxima/Altima/Pathfinder)engine is a very reliable engine, just as good as the Tacoma 4.0. Even though the bed is short, it does have an excellent bed channel tie-down system with a sprayed on bedliner.

Oh yeah,the Frontiers have a rebate on them,but you can forget about a rebate with the Tacoma.

Good luck with whatever brand you decide to get.

ITS NOT A Z10 for crying out loud... its a ZR2 model S-10... good lord man...

ok sorrry..... well how are they automatic ones, I've heard the S-10s have bad auto trannys are the ZR2's any different?

but still no bed space.
I agree. If Ford does hang on to the Ranger it will be on that platform.Other than suspension, all they'll need to do is extend the frame for a longer bed,and make cosmetic changes.