Sign in to follow this  

Getting Old Bites

Ok, this is not totally bike related, and is pretty much just a whine, but sympathy is greatly appreciated.🤣

Tonight I sit here awaiting the approach of Wilma. I know I wont' sleep for worrying about our home and mostly our horses. So here I am with ice packs on both legs typing on the thumperettes forum. Yesterday I took the RM to the local track and even though it was slippery from the previous evening's rain, I managed to stay upright most of the time. One fall is a good day :banghead:

How incredibly embarrassing to add to the previous weeks collection of bruises (line drive to right shin playing softball) by kicking bike over AFTER washing without my boots on. Bike kicked back :banghead:

Now sporting a second pretty colored bruise on right shin.

Gimping along at today's softball game some bruiser of a guy managed to bounce a ball off my left shin! (OK, I didn't catch it, but I did stop it from being a double even if it was a goose egg that made a grown man feel bad)

Now I am lame on both legs and what happens at my turn at bat? I hit one over the shortstops head for a double. Running that far was nothing less than excruciating! How in the heck do I manage to hurt the right quad muscle every stinking time I have to run? I stretch before the games, but still manage to pull that quad. Getting old bites!

Bring on the tissues!

bruises and pain are part of the game, Chewgravel

want to trade 'war-stories'?

I'd have to offer a right thigh that after almost 2 weeks still has a hump and a pink center (K1200LT)

or an index finger that found its way between a rock and a brake lever

but remember it could have been worse

the LT could have hit the post and get sratched

the 450 could have hit the rock a little further down and crunch its header -the way the 250 did earlier the same day, the same rock

your RM could have ran its shifter thru the case

girl, you got to keep a positive attitude, bruises heal, bikes don't :banghead:

Well yeah. At least no bike damage. Seriously though. This is the most pain I have felt for a very long time. The quad muscle, not the shin bruise.

As a firefighter I had my share of nasty injuries and I am really very much the suck it up type. I just can't believe how much this is hurting.

Take some Advil or Aleve, ice the heck out of it (that hurts more than the bruise usually so when you are done it feels better). :banghead:

At least you accept your age. I'm 35, play women's tackle football, co-ed softball AND ride motocross. I'm a glutton for punishment and healing takes twice as long now! I hate getting old too!

Kim

I play soccer and I'm constantly pulling my quad. I've played since I was six and until 1.5 years ago I never sustained an injury (not even a twisted ankle) and I play harder than most. I'm only 26 but I agree that this getting older thing really sucks. Recently, it seems like every game I pull or bruise something I'm sure it doesn't help that I have a desk job and I sit on my a$$ 50 hours a week.

Anyway, you should wrap your quad prior to every game. If you have a running store near you, they probably sell hamstring/quad compression wraps. If not, just normal sports wrap works. Make sure it's tight but not uncomfortable. This will significantly reduce the pain of your injured quad when you run and in the future, if you continue wrapping you will be less likely to injure it (at least it works for me).

Anyway, good luck with Wilma and hope you have a speedy recovery :banghead:

alaskangurl: I read about your induction to the hall of pain🤣

A far more impressive story to tell than my injury from softball :banghead:

As for Aleve, well last night the Darvon and flexeril did zippo and today my MIL gave me her last vicodin. ANd believe it or not, the pain was still nearly unbearable. So I think I really ripped that muscle up. I called my DR who prescribed vicodin and soma. It is somewhat better but still hurts. ANd this from a person who did not even go to the ER till 2 days after a fall from a horse that fractured a lumbar vertabra. I just really can't believe a muscle tear could cause that much pain. If it's not better tomorrow the Dr wants to do an MRI. Not sure what purpose that will serve :banghead: I mean what can they do that I haven't already done?

At least I have a big supply of ice packs and elastic bandages since I have horses.

And gurl.........I hope you are feeling lots better. Glad you were not more seriously hurt. THat sounded like a scary tumble.

Soft tissue carnage hurts way more than broken bones or even gnarly bruises. My broken arm barely hurt, my torn ligaments darn near made me cry and/or barf.

As for the MRI, if your doc recommends it (and if you trust him) and if your insurance covers it, than do it. You never know what may be torn in there and may need to be sewn back up.

Old is relative,

Wish me happy birthday, I just turned fifty last week. I average about 50 miles a week in the dirt, mostly on fairly technical single track. It takes longer to heal, but I found that backing off just a bit has resulted in not falling in a month, and I am much more confident and faster for it.

Try it you might like it!

RH

Happy Birthday Flyinall!

I agree, age is relative. I mountain bike most days at lunch with some guys at the office on some good tech mtb trails. When we can't hit the trails I usually hit the workout room for weights & cardio - yep, I'm spoiled.

My boyfriend and I get in at least one good dirtbike ride a week and more if we can sneak out of work early enough to get in a good hour or so before sunset.

It does take longer to heal but, not crashing seems to make that a moot point! (I can say that now that my skin has grown back on my face, arm & legs from my mtb crash a few weeks ago.) :banghead: