Sign in to follow this  

Getting waaaaay low.

I see in magazines the pros getting their bikes like so low on the turns. like streetbike turns low. As if the bikes is laying on its side. I can't even begin to imagine how they do this. can it be done without a berm? either way, how do you get the bike low when you turn??????

wow first of all things turning low will come with experience, second of all there is no way you can turn like that without a good berm with out a berm your back wheel will basically just wash right out from under you and you'll crash instantly

Well a lot of ruts form, and the camera angle also makes things look flatter.

yeah, i figured you needed a berm. but i've seen people get bikes pretty low in a "flat track" style turn with no berm. good point on the camera angles tho.

whats up with all the WTFs tnc?

This is the only picture ive got on me laying it sorta low on a flat turn, you just gotta put weight on the outside footpeg and sit up on the edge of the seat.

SouthernCross9.jpg

i see. do you counter steer at all (aside from at first to lay the bike down). through the turn or on the exit or not at all.

I see in magazines the pros getting their bikes like so low on the turns. like streetbike turns low. As if the bikes is laying on its side. I can't even begin to imagine how they do this. can it be done without a berm? either way, how do you get the bike low when you turn??????

dont forget pictures can be deceiving :banghead:

This is normally done under controlled traction conditions. It's rare in Florida deep sand or California adobe unless lots of water is involved. Locations, conditions, and times for photo sessions are often chosen for the ability to do these types of things for the camera.

yeah i keep forgetting to change my profile. i moved from florida to vermont over the summer. if anyone is firmialiar with derby hill (localy its calle drider hill) thats where i'm at. its a very proffesional looking track with 4 stops on the New England Motocross Series being held there.

You've gotta' keep in mind that some pics used in magazines are "throw aways". Which is to say that the bike was tossed during the process of getting a pic that looks like something that's almost impossible to do.

alright, well i figured out the sliding and getting low thing. sure is fun when u get it done. wow its exciting. much easier turning left for some reason, even tho im right handed. but man, i didn't think bikes could turn like that till i tried it. way funner than my quad. but maaaan my arms hurt like a b--ch after like 10 minutes of it. i think im still nervous loosing traction and whipping around so i've got a deadly grip on the bike. i need to work on being loose.

One thing that helped me, put your buttcrack on the seam of your seat and weight the outside peg.

I was practicing this a couple of weeks ago. I got in some soft dirt with pretty good bite. I was getting lower and lower, it was fun. I did try alittle too hard, and spun out and went down, but it didnt hurt and it let me know how far was too far. I actually got my bro to video some of it for me. He even got me wiping out again. Hell, I figure thats the only way to learn. Find a spot where going down wont hurt too bad, and give 'er hell. Good luck.