ventura county places to ride

I llive in camarillo and go to dove springs and hungry valley a lot, but i am looking for a place a little closer to home. any tip will be appreciated and i can keep a secret. is the piru track any good for beginers :banghead:

I llive in camarillo and go to dove springs and hungry valley a lot, but i am looking for a place a little closer to home. any tip will be appreciated and i can keep a secret. is the piru track any good for beginers :banghead:

If you don't mind a little MX, Piru MX is not very far for you....

Some ride the Santa Clara river bottom it's small and hardly worth your time. There is some short 4x4 roads in camarillo just off center shool rd, ok for a quick fix. Other wise you have to go to Ballinger or Gorman.Now that I live in Bishop I ride from my front door to great single track and fire roads :banghead:

I wouldn't consider Gorman farther than Rowher because of the messed up road you have to take to get in to Rowher. Ballinger is alot of fun. It's smaller than Rowher but fun trails. Get a map if you go.

It is pretty messed up but it's still better than driving all the way to Gorman. I would say it takes 10 minutes or so to drive to the first staging area. Just tie your bike down real good and watch out for trailers ;-)

I spent 7 years out at the Strand. Silver Strand to be exact the end of Victoria.

The Santa Clara river bed is a the closest place to ride for you. It's not really legal or illegal it just depends on how you drop into it. I have had some stern lectures from the local PD and Sheriff but never got a ticket. I also had a decent Dual Sport kit on my 01 WR 426.

Have you ever heard about the Ortega trail? It's off HWY 33 it's a offroad trail that has been overgrown for years. It's the only legal trail for offroad motorcycles in the Las Padres Ventura County area. It's off HWY 33 I rode it years ago on MTB bikes. It starts at Cherry Creek off HWY 33 or that is the top of the trail and ends up at HWY 33 near a lower camp damm I can't remember the name of the camp.

I tried it a couple of years ago from the bottom and it was just so overgrown it wasn't worth it. There was some effort at the time to get a crew of Ventura County riders to get out and repair the trail. The effort ended when a hard winter set in. I think the effort should continue.

This is a legal trail for offroad motorcycles. It's about 15 miles long and starts off Hwy 33 at Cherry Creek. VCMC or Ventura County Motorcycle Club had a good push to clear it but it didn't work out.

This is a good little known about trail up in the Las Padres Forest that is legal for offroad bikes to ride guys. But it's gonna take some work to get it going again.

Ballinger is about 2 hours of driving up the 33 past this trail. If this trail was re-opened it could make for some killer Dual Sport rides.

The Santa Clara river bed is a the closest place to ride for you. It's not really legal or illegal it just depends on how you drop into it. I have had some stern lectures from the local PD and Sheriff but never got a ticket. I also had a decent Dual Sport kit on my 01 WR 426.

This is a legal trail for offroad motorcycles. It's about 15 miles long and starts off Hwy 33 at Cherry Creek. VCMC or Ventura County Motorcycle Club had a good push to clear it but it didn't work out.

This is a good little known about trail up in the Las Padres Forest that is legal for offroad bikes to ride guys. But it's gonna take some work to get it going again.

So what is it gonna take to clear the Ortega Trail? Let's get something going. Ojai/ HWY 33 is a phenomenal area to D/S. If it's legal let's get it rideable.

By the way tp3dxf Santa Clara river bed was the spot to ride at the 101 bridge access at Saviers road years ago. This is where I saw the first 3-wheeler when I was a kid in the 70's. Thought it had too many wheels. Years later while working at Cycle Magazine, we rode some KLR's from the 101 bridge into Santa Clarita/Valencia. What a blast! Not certain how attainable this route would be after last years rainfall though.

Also, if you are want to ride and you are DualSport the Refugio Road trails are awesomwe. Camp at Refugio and ride due north up the canyon. At the Saddle take your pick: continue north to Solvang or go east towards the San Marcos pass HWY 154. This route is 52 miles roundtrip on asphalt and access roads for the cell sites and such from Refugio Beach with about 6 miles (?) of pavement from the Refugio Campground. Rode it for the first time last October and is a must ride. There is a point where you can see Lake Cahuma to the north and the Pacific Ocean to the south. Only in So. Cal.! :banghead: This is certainly feasable for beginner riders too if you have adventurous little ones. If you approach from the east at the Winchester Gun Club you can roll in far enough to stage bikes and hit the trail from there avoiding the asphalt. Not sure about what the rains did last winter to the roads though.

SoCalTrailrider :banghead:

• Like 1

So what is it gonna take to clear the Ortega Trail? Let's get something going. Ojai/ HWY 33 is a phenomenal area to D/S. If it's legal let's get it rideable.

By the way tp3dxf Santa Clara river bed was the spot to ride at the 101 bridge access at Saviers road years ago. This is where I saw the first 3-wheeler when I was a kid in the 70's. Thought it had too many wheels. Years later while working at Cycle Magazine, we rode some KLR's from the 101 bridge into Santa Clarita/Valencia. What a blast! Not certain how attainable this route would be after last years rainfall though.

Also, if you are want to ride and you are DualSport the Refugio Road trails are awesomwe. Camp at Refugio and ride due north up the canyon. At the Saddle take your pick: continue north to Solvang or go east towards the San Marcos pass HWY 154. This route is 52 miles roundtrip on asphalt and access roads for the cell sites and such from Refugio Beach with about 6 miles (?) of pavement from the Refugio Campground. Rode it for the first time last October and is a must ride. There is a point where you can see Lake Cahuma to the north and the Pacific Ocean to the south. Only in So. Cal.! :banghead: This is certainly feasable for beginner riders too if you have adventurous little ones. If you approach from the east at the Winchester Gun Club you can roll in far enough to stage bikes and hit the trail from there avoiding the asphalt. Not sure about what the rains did last winter to the roads though.

SoCalTrailrider :banghead:

We tried to get as far as possible from the 101 along the river bottom but was stopped by a concrete wall in Santa Paula and fencing blocking a dirt road that went around. Ortega is jacked and it will take a complete rebuild, even before last years rains it was nearly impassable. It is an awesome trail or was with views of the ocean and islands at spots. This is a very difficult trail on par with snowy in the Los padre's. Rocky steep switchbacks and washouts where you can see the trail.......10 yards past a big washout on the side of a very steep mountain, if you don't make it your done and might never get your bike back out. After this part there is a boulder secton and a steep uphill that is full of bolling ball size rocks. Before last year it took us 5 hours to make the 8 miles? The Refugio trail is cool, you use to be able to connect it with the trails out of Los Oso campground just out of cachuma and ride all up above Sb and Carpenteria.