Sign in to follow this  

I did the search but a question remains

Hi guys,

Just yesterday I got a CRF230 for my Girlfriend and I would like to make it run the way it ment to (proper jetting)

I did a search on your forum and learned about the power-up kit with the different needle and the uncoking of the exhaust buffle.

My question is.

In my search I found people writing that they used any 132,115,110,105 main jet with the power up mod.

Can someone clearefy it for me please and tell me what is the correct know set up for a sea level rider with the power upneedle.

Main jet-?

Pilot jet-?

Needle clip position-?

Thank you very much for any input. :banghead:

Hi guys,

Just yesterday I got a CRF230 for my Girlfriend and I would like to make it run the way it ment to (proper jetting)

I did a search on your forum and learned about the power-up kit with the different needle and the uncoking of the exhaust buffle.

My question is.

In my search I found people writing that they used any 132,115,110,105 main jet with the power up mod.

Can someone clearefy it for me please and tell me what is the correct know set up for a sea level rider with the power upneedle.

Main jet-?

Pilot jet-?

Needle clip position-?

Thank you very much for any input. :banghead:

This should get you about 10 to15 different opinions on the right set up. :banghead:

The key is what altitude you ride at (and to a certain degree, the temp and humidity). For 1000 feet, the original post suggestion was 132. Somebody (coeshow?) dynoed their 230 and found that it really should be a 120. So that is a good start (pilot jet and clip settings same as sticky note).

So, higher altitude, smaller main (and after a couple steps down in main, smaller pilot). Lower altitude, larger main.

I took the bike to Ouray, CO over the summer and rode up over 11,000 feet and only switched to a 110 main, and in on the fuel screw. Worked fine. If I lived there I would have spent more time figuring out the right setup, but that worked fine. Without going in on the fuel screw, it got a bad low end bog over 9000 feet.

Anyway, the way to work it is start with an estimate of what someone else is happy with at your altitude and get a jet smaller and larger ($5 each) and check how it runs and what color the plug is. Do a google search (or forum search) on plug color and jetting a motorcycle and you will find several good articles on line. For most of us, getting the jetting close is good enough.

Those smaller jets are for the 150(at sea level).For the main jet, go with the 120.I used to have a 132, but the 120 gives much better gain on the top end.For the pilot, go with a 45.For a while now people have been saying, keep the stock needle and put it on the 3rd or 4th position, crap now I forget.I have the power-up needle and it's on the forth position.My fuel screw Is at about 1.75 turns out.Remember to pull out the air snorkel under the seat.

The key is what altitude you ride at (and to a certain degree, the temp and humidity). For 1000 feet, the original post suggestion was 132. Somebody (coeshow?) dynoed their 230 and found that it really should be a 120. So that is a good start (pilot jet and clip settings same as sticky note).

The 132 should be used with the power up needle and the 120 with the stock needle. Your from Ontario so I'm going to guess your between sea level and 1000 feet. Order a 120 main, 45 pilot and use your stock needle in the 4th position. Don't forget to take out the snorkel and baffle too.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299483&page=2&pp=10

As I mantioned in the original message I ride at sea level. So the set up Im looking for is fot sea level.

xXHondaOwnsXx, So if I will put the power up needle I should go with the 132main?

As I mantioned in the original message I ride at sea level. So the set up Im looking for is fot sea level.

xXHondaOwnsXx, So if I will put the power up needle I should go with the 132main?

In ottawa I'm 375 feet and with these cold temps I'd go 135 main and 45 pilot needle in the 4th position from the blunt end.

I have a 120 main jet with the power-up needle and my set up is fine.With the 132 my plug was black.The 120 gave me more power and a better looking plug.

Yes but what's the point in buying the power up needle when the stock one actually works better? coeshow dynoed the 230 with the stock needle in the 4th position with a 120 main and it made the best power.

Yes but what's the point in buying the power up needle when the stock one actually works better? coeshow dynoed the 230 with the stock needle in the 4th position with a 120 main and it made the best power.

I'd like to read this post. Any idea what the subject was so I can search?

Thanks

Deman, just get a 45 pilot,120 main jet, keep the stock needle and just put it in the 4th position.Getting the power-up needle is a waste of money, really it should be called the power-down needle.I have the power-up needle in my bike and it works fine, but It was a waste of money.