Sign in to follow this  

Tank crack repair

I have developed a couple of small cracks in my XR400R(04) plastic tank just above where your knee would touch the tank when seated. The cracks are not on the welds. The tank does not leak yet, and the cracks seem to grow over time. I dont remember dropping the bike and damaging the tank. Is this a regular problem, I was told that Yamaha had some problems with their tanks and as such replaced them at no charge. Has anyone had similar problems?

Also will a professional plastic weld job fix the cracks and will it last?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In anticipation!!!

I have used some stuff called "PRO FORM 2 par epoxy" dries in like 5 min and flexable as hell. I think it would work for your tank. My dad got it from NAPA he uses at the body shop alot on plastic bumpers and he really likes it.

It is a plastic or metal tank? That seems unclear.

I'm (unfortunatly) and expert via trial and error on epoxies.

I can set you up with plastic fix, but not for metal.

I've had some recent (apparent) success with JB weld quick on a leaking nut on my tank. I guess I overtightened a tank shroud and spun the nut a little...

I sanded the area with 100 grit, then cleaned it with acetone and smeared the JB over it with a small putty knife...

Knock on wood, it seems to be holding great.

Look around you should be able to find a plastic "welder". Or you can drill out the ends of the cracks (as small of a drill bit as possible) and then use a soldering iron and some extra plastic to re-melt the tank back together. I did it to my YZ125 as a temporary fix about 2 years ago and it is still holding.