Sign in to follow this  

New 230...Cold Natured ???

Ok trying to figure this out.......are these little thumpers just cold natured......seems that it takes forever to get her to warm up and run at idle without the choke and all the smoke?.......I also am courious about setting the jetting so that she will run smoothly with the baffle out? Any ideas please?

My son's was a bit of a pain when I got it, but we were the third owners. However, it still had stock jetting and an after market exhaust. So I did the standard power up mods listed in the jetting sticky posting and it now starts fine. In fact, I dropped from a 132 main to a 120 and it isn't as flat on the top end now.

Anyway, if it is much over 80 degrees, then half choke and it starts right up and I let it idle while we finish throwing on our gear. Then it is ready to go. Colder than that, full choke and 30 seconds to a minute, then down to half choke.

We haven't ridden in anything under 55-60 degrees yet.

So, jetting and fuel screw settings definitely help.

Ok trying to figure this out.......are these little thumpers just cold natured......seems that it takes forever to get her to warm up and run at idle without the choke and all the smoke?.......I also am courious about setting the jetting so that she will run smoothly with the baffle out? Any ideas please?

I would not ride with the choke on. it should not be used for more than 30 seconds or a min. Just keep the revs up buy hand or slightely increse your idle (the big back knob in front of the carb) untill it warms up the bring it down after it's warm. I'm further north than you and this works fine.

But yes... this is common. You can also run a hotter plug when it's 40 or under in temp.