Sign in to follow this  

My Rmz450 Has Broken Down ( Possibly Valve Damage )

I adjusted my cam chain this week due to it being slack. I made sure the engine was in TDC annd adjusted it according to the manual. I went out yesterday and after about 10 minutes of riding the bike lost power and cut out. The bike then started after about 10 kicks but stalled again because it now wouldnt tick over. There seems to be very low compression when I kick the engine over. Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know what damage may have been caused. I only bought the bike 3 weeks and hope this is not going to be very expensive to repair. All advice is much appreciated.

you shouldn't have posted this in this forum..you will be flogged with a noodle, because everyone will say you didn't adjust your timing chain right.

BTW..mine did the exact same thing and it was a defective tensioner.

Mine jumped time about 3 hours after ajusting my chain. took it back to the truck put it back in time and have not had any other problems. I check my timing chain afer every ride now and there is no slack.

Did you check the cam chain with the engine at TCD on the compression stoke. If not, your most likely not going to like the news.

Ive just took the cover off and it looks like it has jumped a tooth out on the timing marks. Ive re lined the timing marks up and it now has compression and runs okay on idle , but it stalls when I give it a good bit of throttle but will re start again when I kick it. going off this do you think it may only have done minimal damage to the valves.

you shouldn't have posted this in this forum..you will be flogged with a noodle, because everyone will say you didn't adjust your timing chain right.

BTW..mine did the exact same thing and it was a defective tensioner.

ain't that the truth....no one will admit that this is a stupid design that would be completely non existant if the friggin CCT was automatic....it just baffles me... :banghead:

ain't that the truth....no one will admit that this is a stupid design that would be completely non existant if the friggin CCT was automatic....it just baffles me... :banghead:

Theres nothing wrong with the design. Its people not understanding the correct process to check the CCT that is the problem.

One more time, GARY_470 did you check the cam chain with the engine at TCD on the compression stoke? :banghead: If not that is why your cam chain jumped a few teeth. I would suggest before any more damage is done that you tear into the engine to see what damage may have been done. Just consider this one of lifes lessons.

One more time, GARY_470 did you check the cam chain with the engine at TCD on the compression stoke? :banghead: If not that is why your cam chain jumped a few teeth. I would suggest before any more damage is done that you tear into the engine to see what damage may have been done. Just consider this one of lifes lessons.

Gary to clarify, when you set the piston at TDC were the cams lobes pointing toward the front or back of the bike?

You have it exactly backwards,the MCCT on the RMZ is what I prefer and anyone who knows anything about the ACCT VS MCCT knows also.

I adjusted mine 3 times(THE RIGHT WAY). All is well.

Theres nothing wrong with the design. Its people not understanding the correct process to check the CCT that is the problem.

Totally agree. :banghead:

You have it exactly backwards,the MCCT on the RMZ is what I prefer and anyone who knows anything about the ACCT VS MCCT knows also.

I adjusted mine 3 times(THE RIGHT WAY). All is well.

I have it backwards????? :excuseme the #@$* out of me!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried to understand this from the beginning... :banghead:

Where is the logic guys???

I like the RMZ too and would potentially purchase one, but come on try to open up that brain for a second..... :banghead:

Lets see after owning 5-7 YZF's and WR's and about 40 - 70 friends and 100's of other owners I have met over the years, with both YZF Yamis and CRFs without any need to take the damn motor apart even once to adjust the stupid Cam chain from a MCCT and not 1 failure of any of them, you tell me I have it backwards? (I know that there have been failures - I just have not seen or heard of one)I am sorry to pound on this and you, but it seems senseless to me to have to do this, until replacement is necessary period!!!! I do not care how long it takes or what is involved to adjust it, the facts are the facts and if you do not do it, or do it wrong your RMZ is toast....that is ridiculous in my book. Maybe not yours because you have to keep justifying it to yourself for whatever reason....

I do not get this justification that many of you have that it is somehow a better design......but whatever...keep wrenching/adjusting that MCCT...and hopefully you will not be like many that apparently do it incorrectly and cost themselves a lot of money......🤣

I agree the MCCT is pretty stupid but I guess they had alot of failures or something with the auto. There are also alot of posts in the Honda forum that the auto's are failing and the cams are spinning so in the end what good is either of them? I personally maintenance the heck out of my bikes and take care of them. I've had Kawi, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda. I havent had a failure on any of them simply because I monitor everything and take care of my maintenance. I think alot of people who ride MX or trails are expecting these bikes to go through anything and last without any maintenance and thats the biggest problem. If you want quality and performance, your going to have to take care of the bike. How long do you think a factory bike would last in the hands of a normal rider who maintained the same as he did his own bike? Probably less time than his own bike. The better the bike is going to perform, the more maintenance your going to have to do.

Auto's are less maintainance period ! But Manual systems are better for the guy who maintains his bike properly. Some auto adjusters have slipped on YZF' and CRF's. Haven't heard of any RMZ250/KXF250's yet, but there probably have been a few too. The manual setup, WHEN done properly is safer. It will not slip.

The manual is better in my opinion,it let's you keep a eye on things .Another words,there will be more frequent checking of the Cam chain and the adjuster.Better preventive maintainance habit's. I rather keep a eye on things rather than trust a ACCT. Also the valve train will be checked more often along with the CCT,there is nothing wrong with that. "Take the whole motor apart to check the cam chain" A LITTLE OVERBOARD DON'T YOU THINK. Everyone has there opinion and maintainance habit's,the MCCT suit's me just fine. For riders who do not like to wrench or check on things as much the ACCT IS PROBABLY FOR YOU. I see a lot of riders switching from the auto to the manual.

Back to the main subject,Gary how is your motor any updates? Sorry for all the arguing,saying you didn't do it correctly or did do it correctly. Fill us in as to what is going on with your motor.