Sign in to follow this  

OEM Cam or Hotcam

I have 2001 YZ250F that I am planning to put a new cam on to get the auto decompressionfor easier starting, my main question is, should I go with the OEM 2003 Cam or the Hotcamz aftermarket cam. Does anyone have any expeirience with these cams on their 01s or 02s that they wouldn't mind sharing??

:banghead:

If you are going to spend the money anyway, why not spend a little more for the hotcams? Do you want/need more power, because the 03 cam will make the bike feel newer to you with the auto decomp, but not any faster. hope this helps..

Dirt Rider said they were very pleased with their Hot Cam install on their 01 or 02 bike. Noticable gains and with the Auto Decom much easier to start.

I would say get both intake and exhaust and a new top end while you are at it.

See, I didn't even know the hotcam was a power boost... I'm a newbie to 4 strokes and have only been on a thumper for a couple months nows.... my dad is the mechanic in the family and I'm just now getting aquinted with the 4 stroke engine and functions... I'll spring for the hot cam if it boost power, I'm always wanting more power.

i want to look into the hotcams option "biuld-a-cam"(think thats what it was called) its when you deassemble your old cam and put hotcams lobes are your old cam. this way you can keep the auto decmop.

I hope you understand you'll need to buy BOTH the intake AND exhaust cam to acheive any power gains. Just makin' sure.

See, I didn't even know the hotcam was a power boost... I'm a newbie to 4 strokes and have only been on a thumper for a couple months nows.... my dad is the mechanic in the family and I'm just now getting aquinted with the 4 stroke engine and functions... I'll spring for the hot cam if it boost power, I'm always wanting more power.

They don't call them "hotcams" for nothing. :banghead: Check Ebay....you can pick up a set for a lot cheaper there. My buddy picked up a new set for only $200.....lucky find. You can find then for under $300/set all day long on Ebay but if you walk in to a bike shop and order them plan to pay close to $400. They're not the most efficiecient money spent for power but if you want auto decompression you might as well spend the extra dough.

i want to look into the hotcams option "biuld-a-cam"(think thats what it was called) its when you deassemble your old cam and put hotcams lobes are your old cam. this way you can keep the auto decmop.

Did you just make that up? That's the dumbest $hit I've heard from you in a while. For one, you can't just simply "deassemble" (&%$#@! is that?) your old cam and put some different lobes on it. And another thing, the hotcams come with auto decompression.

Hmm? Never herd of such a thing. We do not take cores, so you can keep your old cam. All of our cams are all new. :banghead:

Did you just make that up? That's the dumbest $hit I've heard from you in a while. For one, you can't just simply "deassemble" (&%$#@! is that?) your old cam and put some different lobes on it. And another thing, the hotcams come with auto decompression.
:banghead::lol::banghead: Why don't you tell us how you really feel RiderX? What's the sense in repressing these feelings?:busted::lol::busted:

Sorry WFW, it was funny......

So wait, if I buy the hotcams then I have also buy a new intake valve and exuast to achieve anything?

No, what he meant was you'll need to buy the cams as a set (the intake and exhaust cam) to achieve a noticeable power gain.

:banghead::lol::banghead: Why don't you tell us how you really feel RiderX? What's the sense in repressing these feelings?:busted::lol::busted:

Sorry WFW, it was funny......

Sorry WFW, I'm trying not to be an a-hole here, but damn.....where does he get this stuff? Everyone makes mistakes but I can't stand it when people just pull stuff straight out of their ass.