82' XL250R Pics

Heres some pics of the 82 XL250R a mate and I picked up on the weekend.

It was bought as a non runner, the frame was bare except for the forks and front wheel, stuck it back together the day we got it, which gave us a good chance to go over everything. Its in real good condition for its age, but missing a few original parts.

The engine dropped a valve seat and the cam is stuffed so I have located a complete 82 XR250 head for it.

Should be up and running soon with any luck.

Ill put up some more pics when its all back together.

honda-xl250-82-bikepics-453964.jpg

honda-xl250-82-bikepics-453965.jpg

I had an '84 model XL 250 that was brought for $20.http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/xlfreak/honda-xl250r.jpg

This pic was taken just before the motor was rebuilt never did get any pics of the finished bike as only had it all back together for a day and was made an offer i couldn't refuse.Sure would be keen to see one of them twin cam XL's as i have never heard of one before.

Hey guys

The head arrived this moring, had it running by the afternoon.

Too right about easy starting, I kicked it over for a little bit with no luck, thought it wasnt getting any fuel. Was just sitting on it thinking while idley kicking it over when it started put putting away happily :banghead:

Is there any way to tell if the head/cam is getting properly lubricated on these engines, like a check bolt or something?

Just a bit concerned as the head seems to get hot very quickly just while idleing on the stand

Also, with the exhaust headers there doesnt seem to be a provision for a gasket and the flange setup is quite weird.

It has two peice collars which sit around the header and the flange butts up against them, but the studs barely reach throught the flange like this and its impossibe to get the nuts on.

Has anyone got a pic or can explain how this is supposed to go together for me.

The bike was in peices when we bought it so I never saw it when it was all together.

Cheers

There are probably 2 old copper gaskets still inside the exhaust port, they may look as though they are part of the head, but they are removable, and that may be your problem. I have found that if you use masking tape to hold the 2 half-round collars together, it makes it easier to bolt up the exhaust header. The tape will not burst into leaping flames when you start up the bike, contrary to what people may think.

My bad..

I already did the tape thing,.. the heat must of been getting to me, I didnt realise the XL header is bigger than the exhaust ports on the XR head so I need an XR header or need to modify the XL one.

The XL header has some kind of birth defect in one of the pipes, like a big metal bubble just inside the header, its about 3/4 as restritive as the other pipe so unless I cut the whole thing open to remove it and turn down the header flanges I may as well just get an XR header

Got it rigged up with the flanges bolted on and some exhaust sealent atm which gets most of the gases down the pipe so at least I can ride it a little.

Cheers

yea mate thats the stock paint, pretty cool ey, thats pretty much why my mate bought it. I learnt to ride on a 79 XL250S and have fond memories of it so reccomended one for my mate who is begining.

Hes going to turn some new header flanges this week and get rid of the restriction. Its actually rigged up pretty good atm considering the header does not even sit in the port.

Have 5 litres of fuel through it now with no probs, actually runs very well considering the exhaust, and its very quiet, just not too keen on hot exhaust gases been blown over an aircoole head.

Cheers

The problem with the headers not fitting is you may have an S model head on it.There was no difference between the S and R model heads except that the ports for the exhaust on the R model were made to accept larger Header flanges.I Had the same problem with my '84 model,and that is a sweet looking XL.

Hey XLfreak, The head came off an engine with the number LS250E (I think).

I think you may have it around the wrong way, the S model was designed to accept larger header flanges because the bike was designed more for the road where top end power is more important hence the large ID header.

On the R model low end torque is more important for offroad which is why they have the smaller ID headers.

The engine in our bike is from an S model I think, its not the original engine, which is why it had the large ID headers.

I went to the wreckers last friday and bought an XR250 header, it has the smaller flange and tube ID, and fit the XL well, except that after the collecter the pipe bent in the wrong direction so it ended up pointing at the carb (carb comes in from the left side of the shock on XRs I think), it also didnt fit the muffler.

So we welded the XL tail section of the header onto the XR header just after the collecter. This worked perfectly and we now have a completely airtight exhaust.

Heres a pic

http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/honda-xl250-82-bikepics-463276.jpg

We probably have 7 hours on the bike now and its running great

Where abouts in Oz are ya XLfreak?

the 2 half sleeves press up against the flange on the exhaust pipe and are held in place by the exhaust collar bolted down onto them. You MUST use an exhaust gasket-they are either soft copper tube compressible type or wire wound asbestos rings. The latter are dangerous-the fibers cause CANCERS, usually many years after contact, partic. nasty long term if inhaled. if in doubt go to shop with measurement of inner and outer dia of flange on pipe & find something to do it. NB make sure whole pipe is supported, as this excelent mounting system will snap off at the flange if overstressed. This system of mounting allows the exhaust pipe to be very close to the valve, thus reducing the heat transfer into the head. Honda pioneered it in early 60's (?).

The XL 250 R model of mine had larger header flanges than my S model,then again it also had a pumper carb(US).My current XL 250 S also has smaller flanges as well, here's a pic of it http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/xlfreak/100_6496.jpg

not sure of XR's as have never owned one.I am on the Mid North Coast NSW.Currently selling the old XL to my Brother in law as i have recently brought an IT 465.He's been after a bike for ages so selling it to him cheap on the proviso that if he ever gets rid of it i have first option.By the way living at Taree.Here's a pic of the new beast after my first ride this weekend,just running it in so not to dirty.http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/xlfreak/New%20Bike/102_6821.jpg