Need for Speed?

It depends on the rider (how far, or close to the limit does the rider ride)

What setup is the bike at (Horsepower/torque)

Where and what type of riding?

High speed gearing 15/47 Is great on the freeway and open desert. Stock - uncorked bike can pull about 100 mph and runs out of horsepower to go any faster. Add a header muffler and you can pull 102mph, trick the bike out and go 680cc, cam, caruretor........ect, ect,ect and you can get 118 a little more with a rev box. Astock bike put's out 44hp to the rear wheel and that is enough horsepower to push 500 pounds about 102mph +/- the bike falls off at 8,200rpm to about 39hp but, with a header muffler you can keep the horsepower to 41 (maybe a little more). So, top speed will be a give and take on horsepower and gearing with our bike. Peak horsepower is at 5,800~6,200 rpm. Higher gearing lets you use more of the peak horse power longer but, you will still run out of horsepower on a stock bike before you will ever get to the rev limiter. On a 680cc tricked out setup the peak horsepower last a lot longer, almost to 8,000rpm (58+hp to the rear wheel) so, you can get to the rev limiter and get to 118+mph. 15/47 will keep your RPm much lower on the freeway at 80mph :banghead:

15/49 is the best all around for desert riding if your bike can pull it in the tight stuff.

14/48 is the best all around gearing for a stock bike, not the best for the freeway. 102 mph with a bigger then stock (Taller like the IRC M5B) in the dirt if the bike can pull it. 97.7 stock

13/48 or 13/49 for real tight single track and rocks.

Speed Calculator, Click Here: :banghead:

With stock gearing, uncorked, Barnum's Pro exhaust, and a heavy right wrist, I had (until the batteries went dead) a recorded speed on my GPS of 109.9 MPH.

Now, that was a very rare day, it was cold, the air was dense, and this bike had more power then I had ever felt before. I just hit it perfect.

Most days it will hit ~ 95mph and just hold there no matter what.

can't wait to get all the new stuff that came in the mail while I was gone put on it and try it again here soon...

edit:

these speeds were done on established oilfield dirt roads, graded nice so there weren't too many holes or anything to mess with it.