can't get linkage bolt out wtf??

So I'm doing the teardown and have the connecting rod off and all 29 bearings out of each side but I'm having trouble. I can't get the bolt that goes through the swingarm(the one you get to by pulling out the white cap on each side). My dad and I have been working on this bolt for about 2 hours. We've sprayed WD-40, contact cleaner... Pounded with a hammer, mallet... It's not catching on the D shaped side anywhere either. We're wondering if maybe there are grooves worn in to the bolt/spacer somewhere and the bolt is catching on it. Anyone have any tips? The connecting rod still had the "string cheese" in it but the other linkage had been greased before.

You might have to remove the swingarm completely and have the bolt pressed out in a hydraulic press.

Well if that's what I'd have to result to then I'll just leave it in there and grease the other relay arm bearing. 3 greased bearings is better than none!

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link."

come again?

Since 02 the linkage bearings have been made for a single wrench. Thus you have the D shape head on the bolt. You need a 19mm to get the nut off, then use a long 3/8" extension and push the bolt out the other side. If you cannot get the nut off the bolt, you have serious problems.

If you cannot press out the bolt, then take it to a shop and put the thing in a press.

Lesson learned why you tear down a new bike to the frame and grease it! Do that before you ever ride it!

I have the nut off the bolt...the problem is getting the bolt out of the swingarm. It's catching somewhere and won't come out.

I have the nut off the bolt...the problem is getting the bolt out of the swingarm. It's catching somewhere and won't come out.

Use a mallet and a metal bar/rod and give it a good hit, be careful not to damage the thread on the bolt. Both of mine(also the one that attaches swingarm to bike)were tight but they did come out with a bit of persuasion :banghead:

already tried the bar and mallet trick. Took about 50 hits to it.

already tried the bar and mallet trick. Took about 50 hits to it.

Take it to someone that has a hydraulic press. That bolt should come out fairly easy with a hammer and rod. Your probably going to have to replace the bolt along with the bearing since it's most likely damaged. Get a Pivot Works swingarm kit and linkage kit while it's apart and replace everything.

To avoid this problem in the future clean and lube everything at least twice a year.

You need to press it out like said.

When you get a new bike, tear it down to the frame and grease all the bearings plus things like the brake slide pins, lever pivot points and the hotstart plunger.

You will need new bearings and a new bolt. Most likely the bearings seized and wore into the bolt causing your difficulty.

Next question, can you get the swingarm bolt out? haha

Ok tonight we ended up getting the little bugger out. I took the stub end of an ax and braced it on the left side of the swingarm while my dad pounded with the punch on the other side. This kept the swingarm from shaking. After about 10 hits it broke loose. What it ended up being(or atleast I think) was 2 burs on the swingarm. On top of that there was no grease left on the bolt. Bearings look good though!

my friend had the same problem before..I'll ask what he did

If you slammed the bolt that hard getting it out, the bearings need replaced.

yesterday someone at college had the same problem,. he used a hydraulic press. it took 5 tons to get it off.