Mikuni cable nipple tips xr650r

I,ve just got my Mikuni TM40 for my xr650r. I have to shorten the push, pull throttlle cables and reattatch new nipples. I need any advice on what solder to use, or do you need to braze them on. Also are the cables made of stainless steel as this may cause a problem attatching the nipples.

You need to get the right cables

hi i have a similar problem. i switched to an Edelbrock carb and would prefer to use the original honda throttle assembly but the cables are too long. not the outer cable but the amount of steel cable protruding. i was also thinking of cutting and resoldering the nipples. if you find a soloution please PM me. i live in Africa and cannot by cables down the road.

thanks

I have all three carburetors and they all use different cables.

I use the OEM Honda outer cables with new shorter inner cables, custom cut .I use nipples with a little screw in it,from a bicycle shop.I put Loctide on the screws.

I did it on my XR416 with the Mikuni TM36(enduro use) and with the TM40 on the 650r (SM street use) for years now,no problem. :banghead:

what "nipples" did you use with set screws for the tm40? can you get us a manufacture and part numper? This seems more feasible than my shoddy soldering skills.

I use the OEM Honda outer cables with new shorter inner cables, custom cut .I use nipples with a little screw in it,from a bicycle shop.I put Loctide on the screws.

I did it on my XR416 with the Mikuni TM36(enduro use) and with the TM40 on the 650r (SM street use) for years now,no problem. :thumbsup: