Sign in to follow this  

2000 DR650 seat and luggage question

I know some seats work for some and not for others but I was wondering if anyone has tried the Suzuki gel seat and how they like it? I can get one for $120 less than a new Corbin but if it sucks it's money wasted.

Also what are some less expensive (cheap) luggage alternatives?

If you want to trade-off the seat height lowering result obtained from the gel seat for comfort then gel is the way to go. Otherwise stay with stock or go with Corbin for comfort. I have the 3 options (stock, gel & Corbin) and the Corbin is on 100% of the time.

Greg

Most folks seem to like the Corbin, I love mine. Plus I have sworn off buying anything "gel", It seems to me it is only a matter of time before the gel sack blows out.

I bought Joe Rocket velocity bags, they were $105. JC whitney had cheaper soft bags. The soft bags ride right on the plastic side plates and scratch the hell out of them. I had to make a brace to keep the plastic off the supertrapp pipe. I have a custom rack but I think the stock would also work with the bags. I have seen some aftermarket racks that hold the bags away from the bike. Try searching on saddle bags or racks

I had Guts Racing (www.gutsracing.com) reconstruct my seat. It's now about two inches wider, one inch taller and has new foam and cover. The workmanship is excellent and the comfort is oh-so-much better than the stock seat. Cost? $129. including return shipping.

I have a barely used Suzuki gel seat for sale. It came extra with my used 2003 dr650. I have not used it. The previous owner tried it but didn't use it for very long cause it lowered the bike too much and also his wife bought him a corbin for xmas.

No tears or scratches or fading.

$100 (shipping included) takes it.

I'll check into guts since the price is far better than a Corbin. Also winter is just around the corner so having the seat off for a while won't be an issue. I don't think I want to lower as much as the gel seat will do. Thanks for the replies.