Sign in to follow this  

gas mileage toy hauler

I was using a '94 F-150 w/ 351 with the bikes in the back of it. It was getting 12-14 mpg.

It has since been traded in on a 2001 F-250 w/ triton V-10. It is getting 13-16 mpg.

I guess I just accept the fact that this is an expensive sport no matter how you look at it, doesn't really bother me that I'm getting shit mileage since its a company pickup that I am allowed to use for personal use so long as I cover fuel and upkeep and don't get any tickets.

Keep up with progress? Everything I'm speaking from has happened w/in the past year. Like the stats I post here, they're all from the new trucks. I'm speaking from experiance here. I know what works, and what doesn't. Something that is tried and true tends to be the best option.

I've driven all three makes, and read the reports. In fact, I didn't know that much about diesels until about 4 years ago. All I knew back then is that the cummins is the best diesel, and now I know facts to back that up, and what makes the cummins engine the best diesel out there.

I'm very open minded; you find PROOF that either of the V8 diesels out there, and I will read it. I'm not talking about opinion articles, but I'm talking about straight facts and tests of these three engines. I can guerantee that your not going to find any unbiased articles out there that rank either of the V8 diesels above the cummins. Speaking of open minded, maybe you should try to think of something besides that big blue oval; at least I've given the other two makes a fair shot at trying to beat the cummins instead of buying a rig just for who makes it.

I know chev_cowboy might have something to say here, but do your research before you speak.

the reason ford and dodge have been changing their motors in the diesel trucks is because they can't pass 07 emissions,

the dodge is the worst ,

the duramax beats 010 by 1/2 the standard,-----and it did that in 00 when we were still testing them for release,

ford and dodge have been having lots of trouble with this,

and the NV trans started out as the nvg trans ( not very good )

was what we all called it ,

the thing is not very nice,

and the sticks of today are getting beat in mileage and emissions,

we have alot of problems with fuel and emissions with the sticks,

but i guess since you know everthing, you new that didn't you .

so i think you need to get your facts straight ,

good god,---keep up with whats going on,

you should see how bad the dodge gets beat in every category at the grounds :banghead:

the old motor was way better !

the new ford motor is looking real good.

but the d-max is so far ahead its not funny,

and yes you are correct about one thing ----

you don't get one of these light weight trucks and a 40' 5er if you want mileage :banghead:

Facts? Okay, I'll present my facts... Every test I ever read the chev always finishes behind the Dodge. Check for yourself.

http://dieselpowermag.com/features/0411dpm_shootout/index4.html

Read the facts; the GM finishes behind the Dodge in every category. Hmm, I don't see the Dodge losing here, in an UNBIASED article.

http://dieselpowermag.com/features/trucks/0511dp_banks/

Read the article, although the GM outs the Ford in power, it still finished behind the Dodge. Funny, the Dodge doesn't lose again.

http://www.wackywack.com/images/dmax/Pulling/Gardnerville_8-27-05/Gardnerville_NV_8-27-05.wmv

Even in sled pulling, the modded Dodge always wins against the modded chev. Wow, that Dodge finished how far ahead of those chev's?

And what're talking about Dodge keeps changing their engine? They have had the inline 6 cummins since 1989. In fact, the same block they're using on their new trucks is almost identical to the block used in 1989. The chev has completely changed engines since then, where Dodge has stayed loyal with the cummins. How can you talk about the NV being a bad tranny? You honestly think the Allison is a better/longer lasting tranny then the New Venture? Once again, do your research before you talk.

You just say whatever you want about your precious little chevy, and I'll find a way to disprove you in most aspects.

Before you speak, do your research, and know what your talking about. I stated actualy PROOF why the Dodge is better in unbiased reports. What do you have? Nothing.

Facts? Okay, I'll present my facts... Every test I ever read the chev always finishes behind the Dodge. Check for yourself.

http://dieselpowermag.com/features/0411dpm_shootout/index4.html

Read the facts; the GM finishes behind the Dodge in every category. Hmm, I don't see the Dodge losing here, in an UNBIASED article.

http://dieselpowermag.com/features/trucks/0511dp_banks/

Read the article, although the GM outs the Ford in power, it still finished behind the Dodge. Funny, the Dodge doesn't lose again.

http://www.wackywack.com/images/dmax/Pulling/Gardnerville_8-27-05/Gardnerville_NV_8-27-05.wmv

Even in sled pulling, the modded Dodge always wins against the modded chev. Wow, that Dodge finished how far ahead of those chev's?

And what're talking about Dodge keeps changing their engine? They have had the inline 6 cummins since 1989. In fact, the same block they're using on their new trucks is almost identical to the block used in 1989. The chev has completely changed engines since then, where Dodge has stayed loyal with the cummins. How can you talk about the NV being a bad tranny? You honestly think the Allison is a better/longer lasting tranny then the New Venture? Once again, do your research before you talk.

You just say whatever you want about your precious little chevy, and I'll find a way to disprove you in most aspects.

Before you speak, do your research, and know what your talking about. I stated actualy PROOF why the Dodge is better in unbiased reports. What do you have? Nothing.

Ya know thumperpucker

I really hope that Kelstr doesnt respond to you and not because you are oh so brilliant, but because you are one of those people that no matter what anyone says you have to have the last word. Forums are for people to discuss opinions nicely but whether you have a valid point or not you come off as a horses rear end- Man what is this gradeschool- Your quote"What do you have????? Nothing!!!" Good god man go ride-take your aggressions out on the track and who cares drive what you like :banghead:

Seriously. This forum is just for kicks, not for bashing matches. The guy just wants some suggestions on good hauler vehicles, not a dueling match.

-Phill

I only said that in response to his initial article stating that the duramax is better then the Dodge and Ford. I would have never said anything; I don't go out of my way to randomly bash trucks, but if someone says something first that is unprovoked and wrong, then it should be someones responsibility to remidy their mistake. Since I had the means to do so, I did.

And by the way, heres a picture of a cracked duramax block...

http://www.nwbombers.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=18126

The overheating problems appear to be fixed with the '06.

The tranny cooler has definitely been redesigned and moved to a place where it gets good airflow.

The '06 LBZ motor features (among other thing) a strengthened block and 360hp. There are a lot of pictures of cracked LB7 and LLY blocks... and most of them have been from running tuner/nitrous/propane stacks pushing in excess of 500hp.

Sure... the Cummins is a great engine... too bad Chrysler didn't team up with Allison for a tranny that will hold together.

It does sound like Isuzu fixed the probs for the new motor. Its supposed to have a thicker block, stronger connecting rods, and stronger push rods. It will be interesting to see if this is the motor that truely gives the cummins a run for its money.

The cool thing is, is that when you run over 500 hp w/ the cummins, the only thing that really happens is a blown head gasket. Thats fixed w/ a ring and stud job, and of course a new gasket. But, there are guys out there that are getting in excess of 700 hp, and still having a reliable truck, and thats no drugs too.

It really is a shame that Chrysler couldn't mate a better auto to the back of the Cummins; seems like a waste. Rumor has it that the Chrysler auto is to be replaced w/ a Mercedes Benz auto in the future. Its already happened w/ the 6 speed, so now the auto just has to keep up.

The '06 LBZ motor features (among other thing) a strengthened block and 360hp. There are a lot of pictures of cracked LB7 and LLY blocks... and most of them have been from running tuner/nitrous/propane stacks pushing in excess of 500hp.

yeah if ya read the thread that picture is posted in you'll see that the Dmax in question was highly modded (one guy said 1500ft lbs of torque, another said 1700) either way... I hardly think thats GM's fault when someone tripples the power output of a motor and it comes appart.

yeah if ya read the thread that picture is posted in you'll see that the Dmax in question was highly modded (one guy said 1500ft lbs of torque, another said 1700) either way... I hardly think thats GM's fault when someone tripples the power output of a motor and it comes appart.

this is so true , at the trucken nationals there were alot of blown up motors and tranys.

you really can't get a bad diesel in either three,

they all will work if you set them up correctly for what you are doing,

and by working at the proving grounds i have a inside look at how they really hold up and perform in a real world setting ( and the d-max allison can't be beat )

and yes the original poster just wanted to know about fuel mileage :banghead:

i am sorry we got off track :banghead:

what vehicles are you guys using to haul your bikes, that get decent gas mileage? Most of the riding areas for me are 2-4 hrs away and if im going to buy something it would be nice if got good gas mileage, while hauling two bikes. :banghead:

what unit are you towing ( 5er, tow trailer )? what is the total weight of the unit when loaded up and ready to go ?

i am assuming you will stay at the track for 2 to 3 days when you get there ?

since it is so far away,

and are you thinking of getting a bigger trailer in the future ?

we generally stay for at least 2 days every week ,and sometimes longer depending on what we are testing or doing.

so what kind of truck really depends on how heavy your unit is. :banghead:

You mean like this?

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/llybad.wmv

The oildown began at the 1000ft mark and notice he still pulled a 13.31.

He had an earlier run at just a touch over 12 on #2 and nitrous, then realized he didn't have the propane turned on. He cranked the 'pane to max, and forgot that nitrous was still maxed out. He was hoping to break into the 11's.

Boom.

http://www.fuzzydiceracing.com/k/ralphcasper.wmv

This is the winning truck of the DHRA West '05 obliterating an E55 AMG... 12.70. This was the first run on the truck ('05 LLY) after being retrofitted with an '06 turbo.

Wow... Now thats a sound you never want to hear on a $40,000 truck w/ $10,000 in stuff done to it. The V8 diesels just weren't made to make the kind of power reliable.

I could dig up a number of differant vids of cummins trucks getting sub 10 quaters, but I think I've already made my point. Although, I will list a few really cool sites of sub 10 cummins trucks.

www.redrocketdiesel.com

www.enterpriseengine.com

www.cumminsracing.com

I suggest a V10 like myself. Whether you are towing or not you can count on a sweet 6 to 9 mpg. :banghead: Just bring friends. Did I mention I work for one of the big oil companies.

Wow... Now thats a sound you never want to hear on a $40,000 truck w/ $10,000 in stuff done to it. The V8 diesels just weren't made to make the kind of power reliable.

As a guy who's had his fair share of drag vehicles over the years, I can assure you that drag racing and reliability never go hand in hand if you're turning respectable times, It doesnt matter if you've got a V8 gasser, a I6 diesel or a jetson car, somethings gonna break constantly. Its an expensive hobby (which is why I stopped doing it every weekend)

Even the top fuel guys that have millions in their cars have parts fly out the side of the block fairly often, its just part of drag racing.

As a guy who works for Cummins, I too have a great loyalty for the engine. I drive a '99 2500 Dodge, loaded with all my tools, approx 1900#'s and pull an enclosed dual axle 16' trailer. Usually I will get 15 - 18 mpg.

But you cannot drive your personal preferences down everyones throat.

If there was a perfect brand, there would only be ONE!

Did you guy's know that in other countries Toyota, and pretty much all other Japanese company's have offered Diesels for 25 years.

Some Isuzu, Nissan, Toyota rigs out there are EASILY logging 30 - 35 mpg!!

And still pull decent trailers!

That's a TRUE DIESEL, We are going to run out of oil one day!

Quite possibly in our childrens lifetime!!

Pressure your local dealers to see these rigs here!

PLEASE! :banghead:

They are on their way.

Toyota is a year away from a 3/4 to 1 ton truck, and another year will have a Diesel option.

Plans are to have the entire fleet hybrid by 2012.

As a guy who works for Cummins, I too have a great loyalty for the engine. I drive a '99 2500 Dodge, loaded with all my tools, approx 1900#'s and pull an enclosed dual axle 16' trailer. Usually I will get 15 - 18 mpg.

But you cannot drive your personal preferences down everyones throat.

If there was a perfect brand, there would only be ONE!

Did you guy's know that in other countries Toyota, and pretty much all other Japanese company's have offered Diesels for 25 years.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, the day that one of those other companies brings one of their diesels into the states is probably the day I will buy one. Your right that a true diesel is the kind that will log over 30 mpg, and it would be interesting to see if any of the American diesels will ever do that. But, it looks unlikely because of the stranglehold the oil companies have on the US economy.

I try to not to shove my opinions down others throats, but its just frustrating to hear ignorance. Its just aggrevating to hear when someone says something along the lines that a V8 makes a better diesel then an Inline 6. I mean, if a V8 makes a better diesel then an inline 6, then why are all semi's inline 6's? Sorry if I upset that many people, but to me it just seems logical. I'm a numbers guy, and a logic guy. And the numbers just seem to be in favor to the cummins more then the V8 diesels out there.