cold oil check

i just checked the oil level on my 2000 yz426 & their wasn't any oil on the dipstick. what level should the oil register on the dipstick when the bike is completely cold, hasn't been cranked in a couple days. I just changed the oil the other day & overfilled, so i let some out...when i checked it while it was warm it appreared to be ok...but when cold it's totally different. thanks for the help

Well, your supposed to warm the bike up and then check the oil. the reason why nothing registers on the dip stick when it is cold is after the bike cools down the oil in the frame slowly..slowly drains back into the motor. So.. in order to check the oil level correctly and accurately, warm the bike up for a few minutes, shut it off, and check it.

what level should the oil register on the dipstick when the bike is completely cold, hasn't been cranked in a couple days.
None. (this is your first dry sump bike isn't it?) Unlike a wet sump, yours stores oil in the tank, circulates it through the engine, then returns it to the tank. When you leave it sit, the oil works its way past the oil pump and ends up in the crankcase, like the man said.

There are two things you can do about this. First, you can check the oil when you shut it off, and understand that it won't go anywhere while it's parked. Second, if you just have to check, you can pull the upper timing plug. If all the oil went downstairs, it will be up about that high (or higher) in the cases. If it's in between bottom-of-the-dipstick level and run-out-the-timing-plug level, you may not see it unless you pull the lower one.

The first method is the simpler, I think.