Sign in to follow this  

DR350 kick starting tip #3671

I know there's been legions of material written about kicking our 350's (and 250's?) into life from cold but I don't recall seeing this one before.

A while back I got the idea that the compression realease being full on is not the best way to encourage a good pumping action to get gas fumes into the cylinder. You see, with the exhaust valve open the air will tend to just flow back and forth in the exhaust with no real encouragement to bring any gas laden air in through the intake valve. Some does obviously but not as much as it could be.

SO.... I started holding the compression realease in just enough that I can kick the starter through easily but it's close enough to seated that I can feel definite bumps back through the lever instead of the usual full comp release FLUFF. 6 to 8 of these and then it's switch on and full comp release to lock then kick through until it snaps back. Push the lever down another couple of inches and then let it return and then KICK!

Since I started doing this a few months back I get about 25% of my starts with the first kick, 50% of them with two and most of the rest with 3. The ones that take 4 are few and far between at this point.

I should mention that my bike has the airbox lid cutaway mod, jetted and needled carb and stock exhaust.

So if your DR is a bit reluctant at times then try this. It really helps.

i have been riding a 96 dr350 off road model for a few months now and this thing is really easy to start hot or cold. i never use the decompression lever. when i read about people having trouble starting them it makes me wonder if my bike has bad compression or something. :banghead:

what jet and neddle position are you running..........i have a 93 dr350s and am having a difficult time getting the carb right. The air box is cut and im running a cobra can.

what jet and neddle position are you running..........i have a 93 dr350s and am having a difficult time getting the carb right. The air box is cut and im running a cobra can.

For mine it's a stock can and opened airbox. I'm running a 150 main right now but I just got a 155 to try as it's still lean for around here. Now bear in mind that I'm doing most of my riding within a couple of hundred feet of sea level so that makes a difference. I'm basing this on feel and plug color but with a 150 it was still lean. The needle is some aftermarket one that came with the bike so I'm not sure what it is.

Most run a 140 to 145 it seems and I will swap to that if I take the bike up into the hills around here again. This spring I did a run at about 1500 ft up and it was noticably rich at that altitude.

i have been riding a 96 dr350 off road model for a few months now and this thing is really easy to start hot or cold. i never use the decompression lever. when i read about people having trouble starting them it makes me wonder if my bike has bad compression or something. :applause:

The tough starting DR350's are the pre 94 models.

I have 92' and I give it 2 kicks on the "pri" setting on the fuelcock and then turn it back to on third kick fires up no problems. The guy I bought the bike from showed me this works pretty well for me.

the first two years on the 250 and 350 had weak ignition that were fixed in 1992 models. i was left in the woods many an hour waiting for the bike to cool when it would die. no real fix except a whole new stator and fly wheel.

I have a 93 DR350 that has never had a problem being started. I can start it any time in one or two kicks. I have had this bike since it was brand new so i know there has never been anything done with it.

Now my 1991 model was a different story.