Sign in to follow this  

What does KTM stands for?

I have heard - Kentucky Trail Monster.

My "friends" proclaim - Kick Til Monday.

Hope to hear some more!

Al

Not sure what your kicking, all I have to do is push a button. KTM stands for Kronreif, Trunkenpolz of Mattighofen. Eric Trunkenpolz was the founder of KTM who had died in 1989. Mattighofen is the city in Austria where KTM was founded. I am not sure what Kronreif stands for, perhaps someone else could inform us.

• Like 1

KTM===KILL THE MAN--They make awesome bikes!!!

james

02 520 exc

Again here is where I was told earlier to find this info...go here http://www.ktmusa.com/set_index.asp

click on KTM Company at the top then click on the History tab and then a new page with this brief paragraph (copied)

KTM was founded as a motorcycle manufacturer in Mattighofen, Austria in 1953. The first model, R 100, was a sensation at the Vienna Spring Motor Show, and described as "well constructed, technically innovative with light allow hub brakes." With his associate Ernst Kronreif, Hans Trunkenpolz founded the company with the name KTM meaning: Kronreif and Trunkenpolz, Mattighofen. From these beginnings developed countless successes. Five decades and numerous world championship titles later, KTM is one of the most modern motorcycle manufacturers in Europe, and fast becoming a dominant leader in the motorsports industry.

You can the click on the year tabs to get the entire story.

Evan,

If you go to the link in Tompar's post, and look at 1968, you will see -

"Production of the cross-country Penton Six Days for export to the USA."

That is all I saw about Penton, but I think I read somewhere that KTM bought the Penton company. I could be wrong, I'm sure someone else can tell more?

Al

Im out on a limb here. I think John Penton imported the bikes (KTM) into the country and put his name on them????? They were some of the first light weight 2 str for off road racing in the country.

I think penton came up with the idea to make a great cross country bike and went to ktm to build,units for the cause,I think KTM,was makeing mostly bycycles,back then,not sure,It;d be nice to know,james

John Penton went to KTM, set up the bikes the way he wanted them, and then had them imported.

Kick Till Monday?

Actually I was always told that Jack Penton ordered KTM engines and put into his own chassis for use in the ISDE. I guess back then in order to race for your country, you had to ride a bike built from that country, and I guess he didn't want to ride a Harley...so he built his own...I don't much blame him. KTM got word that his chassis/suspension was superior to his, and walah....he went to work for KTM...

I could be wrong, but that's the story I always heard

Does anyone know why KTM USA headquarters is located in Amherst, Ohio? (A very tiny town.)

This is where John Penton's home is. I grew up in Amherst and lived about a mile and a half from John Penton.

Jim

We had another string of discussions on the same topics. Here is the summary of that one:

Keeps Thrilling Me

King Of The Mountain

Keep The Manual

Kick Ten Minutes

Kmart Trail Machine

Kost Too Much

Karries The Master

Keep The Medication

Kills The Marriage Or Karries The Mrs

Kind To Maturity (For Us Older Folks)

Kost Too Much

Keep Towin Me