Sign in to follow this  

An aftermarket cam for the pre 96 xr's

hello all, although I am new to this forum, I am not new to the bike world, or message forums for that matter. I have searched the archives here and the web, but I am having a hard time finding info on aftermarket cams for the early model xr's (pre 96).

Can someone point me in the right direction to find a cam for a 1994 xr 250? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you have bought a certain cam for ur xr, feel free to tell me what you think about it.

Ryan

Well, I have checked both websites and as far as I can tell xr's only does not have them. I found megacylecams cam they offer, although I have no idea what hard faced means. Never heard that term in the auto side of stuff. I was also hoping to find one that bolted in retaining factory springs.

thanks guys,

Ryan

A hard faced (or hard weld) cam is manufactured by welding material onto the cam then the lobes are ground down to the proper profile.

For best reliability the rocker faces need the same process done.

Hot Cams are billet like the stock cam.

Hardfaced means the cam has a longer wearing/stonger alloy on the face of the cam. With a hardfaced cam you will also have to get your rockers hardfaced so that the cam and the rockers wear evenly. WebCams also makes a cam for a 1994 XR 250.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/

Hardfaced means the cam has a longer wearing/stonger alloy on the face of the cam. With a hardfaced cam you will also have to get your rockers hardfaced so that the cam and the rockers wear evenly. WebCams also makes a cam for a 1994 XR 250.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/

Mike,

Your sig says Web 479 Cam. That cam says shortened valve guides. Who did that and how do you like the cam?

Mike,

Your sig says Web 479 Cam. That cam says shortened valve guides. Who did that and how do you like the cam?

It turned out that I did not have to get shortened valve guides. The 479 is a high lift/lower duration cam that has a broad/meaty powerban. It produces good mid/top hp yet still maintains a very strong low end unlike most aftermarket cams. With the cam I had to get hard-welded rockers, stronger valve springs, and a stronger cam chain for reliability. The 479 is one of the best cams you can buy for the XR 400 if you are willing to spend the extra money IMO.

It turned out that I did not have to get shortened valve guides. The 479 is a high lift/lower duration cam that has a broad/meaty powerban. It produces good mid/top hp yet still maintains a very strong low end unlike most aftermarket cams. With the cam I had to get hard-welded rockers, stronger valve springs, and a stronger cam chain for reliability. The 479 is one of the best cams you can buy for the XR 400 if you are willing to spend the extra money IMO.

Thanks for the info. What cam chain did you use? Sorry I am highjacking this thread.

I used an 02-04 CRF 450 cam chain. It is the same length as the XR 400 chain but has an extra plate per link so it's beefier.