Sign in to follow this  

MX terminology

Lets get the terminology down so that we're all on the same page, correct me if I'm wrong...

- Casing it: Means you came up short on a jump or messed up hopping a log and landed on your "case", i.e. hitting the ground/log with the bottom of your engine/frame area - hence the phrase "casing it".

- Washed out: Means your front tire slid out for whatever reason and you go down with your bike.

- High side: Means you go down over the top of your seat, i.e. going down on the higher side of the bike. Such as a sudden stop of your bike making you fly off of your bike over the side when hitting a retaining wall of a track.

- Low side: Means you go down with your bike on top of you, i.e. going down on the lower side of the bike. Such as washing out and getting caught with your leg under your bike.

- Endo: Means you went over your handle bar or your bike did a front flip. As in hitting a rock or hole that stopped your bike, making you fly over the handle bar and or making it flip forward.

- Looped out: Means your bike went vertical then fell back on its seat, as in looping out doing a wheelie.

- Railing it: Means your bike tracks so well that it can't go down (especially used relating to a berm) - as if it was stuck on rails and the rails won't let it go down.

- Squirrelly: Means that your bike went nutty or out of control, as in landing incorrectly or having a hard time through a whoops section and you lose some control of your bike - doesn't not mean that you actually went down.

- Saved it: Means you almost went down but saved yourself from crashing.

- Roosting: Means you twisted the throttle and threw up dirt/rocks/water/debris with your rear tire.

- Binders: Another term for your brakes. As in "grabbed the binders".

- Goosed it, wicked it: Means you twisted the throttle to get it into a higher RPM.

- Chopped the throttle: Means turning off the throttle/power as in putting the engine to its idle throttle position.

- Pinned or pegged or WFO or WOT: Means having your throttle fully opened.

- Flying 'W': Means you are only hanging on to your bike with your hands with you butt high in the air, typically occurs right before you crash.

- Ate it: Means you crashed, as in eating/tasting the dirt.

Care to add more terms to this list? :banghead: :banghead:

What does the front end "pushed" means in these shootouts that I'm reading? I'm thinking it means the front end compressed too much... :banghead:

Is there a "shoving" term too, as in "pushing and shoving"? :banghead:

alan,

i take it you have NEVER watched a nascar/indy car/f1/..... race? this term is used a LOT in *ALL* forms of racing.

push simply means that the front would rather go straight than turn. the front might be turned, but it "pushes" forward instead.

now if it suddenly does bite, you high side.

bought the farm "a bad crash"

jap slapped "when your japaneese manufactured motorcycle slaps you in the back of the head when you crash"

"Push" is understeer, like Steve said. Oversteer is when the rear end breaks free in a corner before the front. Understeer is the opposite, and is what happens just before a "washout" :banghead:

Thanks, I got "pushed" down now :banghead:

"Jap slap" :banghead: that's different from "biotch slap" - what is it called when you get biotch slapped by a Japanese woman? "Jap biotch slap"? :lol:

tacked out - same as wot

pinned - same as above

gunnin - same

outtie - same

blurt it - something one would say to another to hit a jump

burp it - same as above

scootin - riding at a high rate of speed

squid pod: any quad (brain optional)

valves: what lasts on a yamaha and does NOT on the other brands. :banghead:

What exactly is a squid? I see people relating it to newbie(s) but not SURE of its true definition. :banghead:

squid pod: any quad (brain optional)

valves: what lasts on a yamaha and does NOT on the other brands. :banghead:

That's why those "other" bikes are referred to as "valve grinders"

goon- i like that one

joe moto (usually refers to someone who is riding over there head) example- "maybe you wouldnt have hurt your leg if you werent trying to be joe moto of the backyard"

poser - new bike, new gear, can't ride for shlit if they *ever* get on a bike.

squid - brains of a sea creature

squiding out - about as much control as a greased pig on ice before you crash big time (ie showing you have no brains by going WAY to fast for the conditions)

pig slop - a race in the mud that has the consistancy of what a pig lives in

old school - air cooled, drum brakes, steel gas tank, 2 shocks (though some early monoshock yz's qualify) and the rider wears leathers (as in cowhide). basically, any bike from 1980 and back.

old school - air cooled, drum brakes, steel gas tank, 2 shocks (though some early monoshock yz's qualify) and the rider wears leathers (as in cowhide). basically, any bike from 1980 and back.
...boots with leather straps and buckles, socks rolled over the boot top, open face helmets with Jofa mouth guards...

Speaking of old school, remember "WFO"? (first word; wide, third word; open)

FMF did not always mean Flying Machine Factory, either. (fast.... something, I think)

" Tank Slapper " another old school term from the days of poor suspension. I had a 74 YZ that was excellent at this.

gray,

yes i remember. well at times anyway.

bell moto 3 was a BIG deal when it came out in '79. jt ventalator, scott boots, goat skin gloves (still have my yamaha spikers somewhere) and forktubes you could wrap your HAND around!!!

So what does the slang term "spode" means? :banghead: