Kickstarting 05 TE450

While riding today i smoked a large tree root completely stalling and stopping my bike. It would not turn over with the buttom. After trying to kickstart it for a while I ended up bump starting it. So what is the trick with kickstarting it? I tried many times to no avail. As far as the E start not working, it turned out that the negative terminal at the battery broke of.

Tiger

the drill is find Top Dead center what ever the hell that is on a 4 stroke? seems i learned that in HS auto shop once. I know as you kick down and advance the pistion that you feel clunk clunk and at the hardest resistances that is TDC, your supposed to use the compression release to push just past and thru TDC, then you let the kick lever back all the way up, take your finger off the compression realease and kick thru not jerky but smooth follow thru.

I tell you I'm a still not sure I know where TDC is by the feel of my foot yet.

also place your right hand on the bar not on the throttle to avoid rolling the the throttle any as you kick down. that is important use No throttle.

the above is what i was told. It works, but unitl I learn fully where TDC is I just keep kicking it and I had a good day once tried like 10 times during the whole day, kick started it 8 times thru the day and 3 times on the first kick. Confidence builder day that was.

I can not kick start my 05 Te450 either. It is jetted correctly and fires up very quickly with e-start. I have used many different kicking techniques with no luck. I owed a 2000 YZ426F (no auto comp. resease) so I know that starting drill very well but can not get the Husky to fire. It almost feels like there is no spark.

yeah when they don't fire up it's frustrating and yup it sounds likethere is nothing there, just clunk clunk roll clunk. I just started to make it a habit each time I trail stop and you have to turn it off to save from over heating but each time I'm ready to go again I first try to kick start it. Give it a couple whacks , maybe trt to find TDC by feel and if it dont start , then frig it use the button, but every trail stop I try and sure enough, pretty soon it was firing up for me.

While riding today i smoked a large tree root completely stalling and stopping my bike. It would not turn over with the buttom. After trying to kickstart it for a while I ended up bump starting it. So what is the trick with kickstarting it? I tried many times to no avail. As far as the E start not working, it turned out that the negative terminal at the battery broke of.

Another testimonial for why e-start only dirt bikes are a bad idea. You were fortunate that bump starting was doable. :banghead:

Tiger

Have You checked the valves lately?

Hot start problems is often av valve issue. You could try removing the automatic decomp mechanism. This would probably make it easier to start given you master the correct technique. Not sure if the e-start will be able to turn it without decomp though.

Have You checked the valves lately?

Hot start problems is often av valve issue. You could try removing the automatic decomp mechanism. This would probably make it easier to start given you master the correct technique. Not sure if the e-start will be able to turn it without decomp though.

Remove the auto decompresor? Without it you would be breaking gear, cases and probubly your foot!

This happens on my supermoto pretty often. The same battery just doesn't have enough guts to turn the engine over when the engine is real hot. I help it get spinning by using the manual compression release and then releasing the manual compression release when the engine is cranking over good.

The auto works with a centrifugal weight on the cam when not spinning it hold the exhaust valve open a touch the minute the motor spins to life the weight spins out and the eccentric cam on the weight moves out of the way. It is better to see it then my explination. You have both for hot starting or clearing the cylinder after flooding. I had a 93 610 with the FBF high comp piston that didn't have the auto and i don't care if you weighed 400# you weren't kicking that bike unless you knew the decomp trick

The auto works with a centrifugal weight on the cam when not spinning it hold the exhaust valve open a touch the minute the motor spins to life the weight spins out and the eccentric cam on the weight moves out of the way. It is better to see it then my explination.

No thats fine,thanks for that,i can understand your explanation. :banghead:

Finding "just past TDC:" Just put the bike in second gear and pull it backwards. It will only go a few inches and then the back wheel will stop--hard! The engine is now on the firing stroke, just past TDC. Take a full kick, don't jab at it. No compression release needed.

• 2 months later...

Sweet, will give it a try. On my 95 610, I used to start it using the 4 stroke drill as talked about in the forum. But, I notice on my 01 TE 570, that it likes to be right at TDC and not a smidge past it. So, I'm curious if the 2nd gear back her up thing works.