accessing rear shock for adjustment?

i'm probably being really stupid here, but how do you access the rear shock spring adjuster rings on a 2002 wr250f? can't get at it on the left side due to the air intake into the carb, and can't get at it from the right due to the shock bottle. you surely don't need to remove the carb air intake to get at the shock for adjustment do you? and yes i have tried a search with no answers

You can:

> remove the rear triangle and air box, adjust it, put the triangle back on and check the sag, take it back off and adjust it some more,....

No? well then,

> get a ring adjusting tool consisting of only the hook portion and having a 3/8" square drive socket, so that it can be used in multiple positions with a ratchet..

or,

> Use a soft punch made of a piece of 1-1 1/2" x 1/8 Aluminum strap.

I used an old, long screwdriver (or a punch will work). Use that the hit the rings perpendicular to make them spin. Lossen up the lock ring, then use the same technique to turn the adjusting ring, then tighten up the lock ring. Once the lock ring is loose, you can usually get a finger in there to spin it. Should be able to do it without removing the subframe.

Another option; hinge the subframe up on the top bolts (loosen them and remove the lower bolts.) that way you don't have to undo the battery etc. (at least that all works on my 2005, I think it would work on a 2002. Especially the screwdriver/punch technique.)

thanks guys, went for the un-subtle "hit it with a hammer" option, as per Soul Man's advice, worked a treat and made a world of difference to the handling - just after getting the bike, and story goes from the dealer that the previous owner was a bit of a featherweight midget and had backed everything off to help get his feet on the ground!

thanks again