Sign in to follow this  

Night riding.

I was riding out at Jones Creek with my girlfriend today and we ended up staying out a bit later than expected and riding in the dark. It was a little scary and not what we set out for but when we got back to the truck we both agreed it was a hell of a lot of fun and that we both felt like we started riding faster and smoother. Before today I got spooked when the front wheel let go, but riding in the dark I started to figure out that I could let the front wheel slide, keep my weight centered over the bike and it would catch and come back again.

Great stuff. Anyone else out there like to do a little night riding? I'm going to get a headlight for my girlfriends bike, a brighter light for mine and do a little more night riding, might be a good way to sneak a couple hours in after work one of these days and the trails were absolutely empty, seems like nobody else likes to ride in the dark?

It was very wet, with a couple of deep puddles but it wasn't really muddy. The trail surface seems to be very hard there, the water collects in places but doesn't soak into the dirt and create a layer of mud like I've seen when I've been riding up in Kelso.

I was riding out at Jones Creek with my girlfriend today and we ended up staying out a bit later than expected and riding in the dark. It was a little scary and not what we set out for but when we got back to the truck we both agreed it was a hell of a lot of fun and that we both felt like we started riding faster and smoother. Before today I got spooked when the front wheel let go, but riding in the dark I started to figure out that I could let the front wheel slide, keep my weight centered over the bike and it would catch and come back again.

Great stuff. Anyone else out there like to do a little night riding? I'm going to get a headlight for my girlfriends bike, a brighter light for mine and do a little more night riding, might be a good way to sneak a couple hours in after work one of these days and the trails were absolutely empty, seems like nobody else likes to ride in the dark?

I think night riding is the most fun a person can have on a bike. Contact Jesse Wardlow or Tubo and we'll hook up for a night ride at my place in the near future.

I've just started to get into night riding a little also. Actually so far I've only managed one 14 mile night ride(hard to find ppl to ride at night with) but I also had the same experience as you. At first it was really freaky but about half way through I started to realize that I could really let the bike work under me and not be so tense and could ride faster than I thought I would be able to.

BTW, if your interested I have a light for sale in the TT ads, it's a white Baja Designs halogen headlight with an HID kit installed. Claimed light output is 3500 lumens while only drawing 35w from your system(compared to 1600 lumens from a 60w halogen). There's a long story behind it but it's all brand new and am asking $210.00 shipped, which is a lot less than what I have into it.

I don't know about that, I'm starting to get the feeling Jesse isn't right in the head and is going to get me killed on one of his rides. Of course I keep asking him when he's putting another ride together so I'm not sure what that says about my state of mental health.

I have went on short night rides. Riding in the dark is awesome! Riding fast in the dark can be kinda scary, especially if your light isn't too bright. I really need to get a better headlight for my XR400. I'm hoping that a 55w halogen will do a lot better than my stock 35w incandescent. If it isn't enough, I may have to get my stator rewound. What kind of lights are other people using?

I'm still looking around at my lighting options, and my electrical in general. My battery keeps dying and I believe it's because my hot grips are wired up to the DC circuit which charges the battery and doesn't have enough power to run them so I'm going to try moving them over to the AC circuit (wonder how much that'll affect my lighting?). I'm also going to install a high/low switch so I can at least alter the location of the lighting I currently have.

If that's not enough I may pick up a HID kit but I'm still waiting for a call back from TrailTech on getting my stator rewound, I'm not positive but I think HID lights need a DC power source and my bike currently has about 25 watts available DC and 75 AC, not enough to run a 35 watt HID without making some changes.

Worse yet I just found out my girlfriends bike doesn't have the ability to run a light without having the stator rewound, making the whole thing even spendier. Maybe the night riding will have to wait until next year when I have a few more dollars in my pocket.

If better lighting is a priority for your, may I suggest that before you spend much money upgrading the lights on your bike, you look into a helmet light. I don't ride a lot at night, but almost all the night riding I have done was while racing. A helmet light adds more useful light WHERE YOU WANT IT, as opposed to your bike's headlight, which could be shining anywhere.

I run the CYCLOPS helmet light, it's $100, and very easy to wire into the bike.

If your bike doesn't have the electrical system to support lights, they make battery pack systems to run the helmet lights. The battery goes in your backpack.

Trailtech, Cyclops and Lead Dog are three sources off the top of my head. :banghead:

If better lighting is a priority for your, may I suggest that before you spend much money upgrading the lights on your bike, you look into a helmet light. I don't ride a lot at night, but almost all the night riding I have done was while racing. A helmet light adds more useful light WHERE YOU WANT IT, as opposed to your bike's headlight, which could be shining anywhere.

I run the CYCLOPS helmet light, it's $100, and very easy to wire into the bike.

If your bike doesn't have the electrical system to support lights, they make battery pack systems to run the helmet lights. The battery goes in your backpack.

Trailtech, Cyclops and Lead Dog are three sources off the top of my head. :banghead:

Jetlite and Niterider both make top of the line battery powered helmet lights. I currently use the Jetlite Phantom single beam with smart switch and am very impressed with the quality (that light combined with a 55w bulb in my XR was very sufficient for night riding). With the new bike I am looking at wiring in a pigtail to the electrical system and running a Niterider on the jaw portion of the helmet along with the Jetlite battery powered light on the visor. Just seems handy to have a battery powered light that I can leave on my person when getting off the bike.

http://www.jetlites.com/

http://www.niterider.com/

I've been strongly considering a helmet light, I mountain bike as well so I could get a little more use out of it. I'm worried about breaking it though, seems much more vulnerable. Just on my last ride I think I bounced three decent sized branches off of my helmet, just looked down and let them slide over, I'd hate to think of what would have happened in that situation with a helmet light.

You guys have any issues with breaking them from branches or crashing?

I've been strongly considering a helmet light, I mountain bike as well so I could get a little more use out of it. I'm worried about breaking it though, seems much more vulnerable. Just on my last ride I think I bounced three decent sized branches off of my helmet, just looked down and let them slide over, I'd hate to think of what would have happened in that situation with a helmet light.

You guys have any issues with breaking them from branches or crashing?

I haven't broken mine yet. The Jetlite comes with a breakaway mount that holds the light secure yet allows it to snap free if it hits anything. It can then be easily snapped back into place. I don't know how the Niterider setup works. Trail Tech uses velcro to attach their lights which also breaks away from the helmet easily.

One thing I have found with the visor mount of the Jetlite is that the light is dropped out of the way of any overhead braches when even slightly tilting your head down. The Niterider, being mounted on the jawpiece would be even better protected.

I've got the Cyclops, the TrailTech and the Lead Dog helmet lights. The TrailTech is a must-have for racing IMO. The Cyclops and Lead Dog work great for trail riding and really make night riding fun! :banghead: All of them mount via velcro, so if they do get knocked off by a branch or something, you just pause for a moment, re-attach them and resume your ride. :banghead:

The only issue I have with a helmet light is when riding in dust. My first night ride was riding behind two other riders in slightly dusty conditions. It was like driving at night in a snow storm, I had to turn off my helmet light and run only my bike light, which fortunately is an HID unit. The helmet light worked good as long as we were out of the dust.

The only issue I have with a helmet light is when riding in dust. My first night ride was riding behind two other riders in slightly dusty conditions. It was like driving at night in a snow storm, I had to turn off my helmet light and run only my bike light, which fortunately is an HID unit. The helmet light worked good as long as we were out of the dust.
Same thing happens with rain or fog. It's a complete white out a few feet in front of the bike.

I recently bought an E-Line kit for my YZ250. 180 watts of power. I also bought a Baja Designs headlight and wiring kit. Along with some cheap fog lights from WalMart. My lighting is quite adequate. Used it at the 25 hr and had great luck with the lights. Here is the wattage of the lights; My main light is 80w/100w and my little fog light is 55w. All in all, Im very pleased with my light even though Im into everything about 600 bones... Which isnt too bad considering how much more riding Ill get in in.

Yeah, that's why lots of guys try to mount the light on the chin bar. Wish mine was there...

what would that do differently? :applause:

I don't have a helmet light but I'm guessing the chin mount is to keep the light from getting ripped off if you have to duck under a tree branch or something like that.

I have the nite rider system, I LOVE IT. The first time I rode at night was in Oklahoma at Cooperland, there's a 7 mile woods section. It was SO MUCH FUN. Since you really see the trail in front of you, everything else in your peripheral vision seemed less intrusive. It was a blast.