Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125 question

I have always been a honda man, but we were out looking at bikes today. Well not looking at bike, looking to buy some parts for my bike. Then my wife jumped on a TTR125. Now she wants one, OH no I'm in trouble now. My question is, what kind off issues do they have? It seems like just about every bike has some kind of issue. This time I'm going to ask a lot of questions before buying something.

Really aslong as you maintain it and she doesn't want to hit big jumps then the bike should be fine. If you go to get a ttr 125 get the L version. Seems to be better really. Just take care of the bike and it will take care of you.

Just hang out around here and learn. The made in Brazil TTR125s have had some minor quality control issues such as breaking kick starter but overall they are very Honda like in reliability when kept stock, trail ridden, and maintained. Racers have broken frames on MX jumps but are easily repaired. Plus they fit the niche abandoned by Honda for lightweight playbike after the XR/CRF100.

One thing that I want to make you aware of.. Do you know how much aftermarket following this bike has? There are a ton of things you can do to the bike to make it a LOT of fun for you also :banghead:

The biggest thing is the stock jetting. It sucks. That is covered here on a sticky post. Other than that there are no problems to speak of.

well ive snapped a couple spokes and stretched the chain to where I was adjusting every ride day so I boaght a did

but overall I love my bike

Breaking spokes can be attributed to two things, big jumps and lack of maintinence, or a combination of the two. The only issues with mine stock was the forks spinning in the triple clamps, but that's easily fixed with a BBR upper triple clamp. I suggest an O-Ring chain when the stretchy stocker wears out.

i have a 2005 ttr125le. it likes the choke and warm up in 2nd gear for a little bit. but its a good bike i jump it its ok for jumping 10 foot jumps.dont go any higher. :applause: go ahead and get the electric start! :ride:

i went through my stock chain really fast, thats only because i hit jumps and trail ride alot. rejetting is mandatory. new chain and jets thats pretty much all you need to change. in the the long run if she does start to jump you may want to consider a frame cradle. :applause:

For the ladies and the casual rider the TTR125L will do the trick. Like others have said you will probably have to re-jet the carb. They are set up really lean because of pollution regs in different parts of the country. Other than that the frame cradle is the only other things you will need to do, oh, and maybe a good chain guide. All these things can be bought right here in the TT store for around $200. These three things are pretty much a must for any rider regardless of how the bike is to be used.

Like others have said there are tons of other mods available for this little bike for when she turns into a race demon :p

Once this bike gets broke in they are very easy to start, usually 1 kick does the trick but an electric start would be nice for those times when it's really cold out or something is out of wack. And do get the L model for nothing else but the disk brake setup.

:applause::ride::p

I bought a used 2003 TTR125LE for my son in May, and the only issue is the choke valve. This thing sticks in no time and must be lubricated often. Other that that, the bike is flawless.

I tried to get my girl into a CRF150. She compared it to the TTR and said "NO WAY!"

The ttr is something like 45lbs lighter, a bit shorter, and still a heck of a fun bike to ride. I'm happy with the purchase.

The only things I'm going to do:

-Re-jet

-BBR frame cradle

-Hand guards

Once she's up to speed, then I'm sure I'll get her a BBR pipe, open up the airbox, etc. and eventually a big-bore kit.

Olddude is right on the money. I went to get bikes for me and the kids and my wife fell in love with hers. She said she DID'T want the ele start but I opted for it anyway and she loves the hell out of not having to kick the bike over unless she wants to. My wife is a very casual rider, no big jumps or anything but the bike works perfect for the casual moto-mom. In my case I didn't want her to be able to really get hurt either, I'd starve to death!

I have had my TTR125LE for just over a year now and have had no problems or failures. I use my bike for super-moto racing in the SMUSA series, and indoor short track during the winter, so it lives at red line. I change the oil and keep the valves in spec. The thing is a ROCK.

Do the basic jetting corrections, open up the air box and let her ride. Like everyone else has said the chain will wear out, replace it with a good one.

The bars will bend after a good fall or two, replace with a good set of aluminum bars(Renthal). Add some hand guards for future falls.

It's my favorite bike in the garage.

Good Luck

HambonE_23, your killing me :ride: that's the very same reason I wont let my wife near one of these things. :applause: The thought of her not being able to work is more than I can handle, besides who would wash the bike when it gets muddy :p

They are pretty good when they are maintained but they are really all different.Hey, the parts are a little pricey but they're worth it! :thumbsup::thumbsup: