Sign in to follow this  

End of break-in question

I just hit 600 miles on my new 06' drz S. I've noticed a few things that I have questions about. First, the clutch. it seems that my clutch lever has gotten more and more slack in it since i've started driving it. 97% of the lever travel is useless. It seems if i pull it only a tiny tiny bit the clutch disengages. All the dead travel in the clutch doesn't bother me but i don't remember it being like that when i first started driving. How does everyone else's clutch behave? Is there an adjustment for this? Is there an equivalent of a clutch stop in cars for the DRZ? Second, when i am cruising along on the highway and I all of a sudden give it 3/4 to full throttle there is a serious hiccup in the power before it goes. It feels like the engine is about to stall and then it goes. This mainly happens in 4th gear and sometimes 5th. I'm guessing this is a carb adjustment? Thanks for any info...

1. The clutch. It seems that my clutch lever has gotten more and more slack in it since I've started driving it. 97% of the lever travel is useless. It seems if I pull it only a tiny tiny bit the clutch disengages. All the dead travel in the clutch doesn't bother me but I don't remember it being like that when I first started driving. How does everyone else's clutch behave?---- Yours is a little abnormal, but not a bad thing assuming you have free play at the lever.

Is there an adjustment for this?----There is adjustment for free play. Tip of lever should move free about 1/2 inch. There is no sensitivity adjustment.

Is there an equivalent of a clutch stop in cars for the DRZ?---- Not sure what you mean so I guess no.

2. When I am cruising along on the highway and I all of a sudden give it 3/4 to full throttle there is a serious hiccup in the power before it goes. It feels like the engine is about to stall and then it goes. This mainly happens in 4th gear and sometimes 5th. I'm guessing this is a carb adjustment?----Yes, but what do you mean by adjustment? You can buy a carb re-jet kit to replace parts that will cure this. DynoJet kit plus information here on TT.

did you check the slack in the chain to i bet its out of adjustment aswell.check your air filter to see how dirty it is.if everything is stock it should not be having a hicupp like you say but i would order a jet kit for it and unlock some hidden power.i've order stuff from TT and it was painless.if problems continue pm Burned in the jetting forum,he'll get it running right for you guaranteed

Your clutch cable has stretched. This is normal for a new cable. There are two adjustments. One on the clutch lever, the large and small knurled knobs, and one on the cable itself, where the cable goes under the fairing. The clutch lever should not have more than 1/4 inch of play. The hesitation, on full throttle, is not normal. Check your air filter.... Phil

what is the best way to check the slack in the chain ! my bike manual is on back order ,cant wait till its in so i can make all the adjustments. i am just at the end of my break in period as well....any tips or possibly a link to a site that will show the chain adjustments will be apprecated.....

Read your owners manual.

Or get a heavy friend to sit on the bike so the suspension is compressed about 1/2 way. Then adjust the chain for min slack. About 1/2 inch free play at the tightest point of suspension travel. I just lay over the seat and pull on the swing arm back by the axle to get the suspension down. It will be about 2 inches of slack with the wheel hanging free.

i just give the chain a shake below the swing arm and if it moves more than a an inch each way i adust it so thats there only 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch each way.i believe the manual does say to sit on it but i'm not sure.i've done it a lot of times and i doit only one way and i've never had a problem.