Grip Heaters

I looked at the ones on the TT store but they look like they might not be setup for a twist type throttle. More designed for ATV's and sleds, I know this is a bike site but those don't look quite right. You all tell me, do they work?

I'm not sure if anyone makes a grip heater for a twist throttle that is for a dirt bike. You can get them for a street bike, but they'll be big heavy grips with little grip when they get wet. You can get them for ATVs that have thumb throttles and use the same diameter grip on both sides. If you want them for a dirt bike, your best bet is to buy a grip heater element that you can put under standard grips. I did this about 2 weeks ago for my DRZ, and they work great. Plus you can select the grip of your choice, without having to settle for the type that are available heated. Give it a try, it'll work.

I also vote for grip heaters that go under grips of your choice. I haven't put them (yet) on my DRZ, but on my FJR, I installed these - it was easy. I don't see any reason they wouldn't install just as easily on a DRZ.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=16025&Category_Code=heated_grips

I think the ones sold by Dual Star are the same.

I'd avoid ones that use a resistor for varying the heat. You either want to regulate the heat with a heat-troller (which adds expense and bulk), or just use this kit with the two position switch that switches between two parallel sets of elements in each grip.

- Mark

Hot Grips makes heated dirt bike grips. I have a set on my SM. They look just like the stock grips but are a little bigger diameter and are less grippy. They are more grippy than street style grips though. These are a lot more durable than the elements you put under standard grips, and heat up better too.

http://www.hotgrips.com/dirtbikes.html

I got a set of Oxford Hot Grips....they wrap around your grips and attach with velcro...just hook up to your battery....take them off in the warm weather.............gripheaters.jpg

It looks like the oxford hot hands are made more for street bikes, how do they work for off-road? Do you think they will hold up well?

I have the ones from dual star they look like the pict posted earlier in this thread by markjenn. They also look like the ones on the TT store just different colour element. They stood up okay and are reasonably priced. The wiring diagram was backwards though and once reversed were very nice. I rode an entire winter in Vancouver with them. Greatest thing since BMW's. When I trashed my bars I subsequently trashed the elements. As for general longevity I cannot vouch for them beyond that.

I did also install them to the bars and opened up the inside of the throttle tube. This saved the wires from moving with the throttle. When the bar pointed skyward it cracked the thinner throttle tube. I also made no attempt to remove the elements from the old bar as they were cheap. I am considering getting an Aluminium throttle tube and increasing the bore to eliminate that problem. Although I will wait till I move North again. Or you could actually follow the instructions :banghead:

Here in Tx I have yet to feel the need to reinstall them. :banghead:

So far so good, my grip heaters on my DRZE 400 keep me warm. I bought mine from Canadian Tire, or Crappy Tire as we call it here. Of course there is no provision for the throttle wire as they are intended for ATV. I simply routed the wire in front of the grip with a small loop, it is safe from snags for the most part as it is behind brake lever. Not perfect but lots of trail riding in the bush this summer with no problems. The throttle grip heats up more so as the heating element isn't attached directly to the bar, I have aluminum bars making it more noticeable from left to right side. Still, for 27 dollars canadian its cheap. I simply glued everything together using contact cement. When it comes time for a new set I will cut off the Honda grips, only 20 bucks, and install new heaters if they fail me. There is much talk about the wiring of the throttle. I was concerned and thought maybe of cutting a hole in the bars etc. In the end my solution has endured many twisted throttles. I used electrical shrink wrap to protect the wires and used high quality wire from my local electronics supply shop. I have discovered the benefits of using a handle bar muff, or mitten used often with snowmobiles. This is the only way in my mind because you need to keep your fingers in thinner gloves to handle your brake and clutch and lights. As well the heat from the grips reaches your hand, not the case if you are wearing a thick glove. The muffs work really well and I can buzz around at highway speeds and have warm hands. The best part really is showing up to where ever your going and you don't have to warm up your hands. My friend likes the idea but suggested that if you go in to the hills relying on your electric grips and they fail you will freeze on the way back. A very good point, but the reliability seems OK. I wouldn't bet my life on these heaters though, I think for great reliability they need to be a factory option. I ride around often feeling like I am the only one out there when it gets cold. Here in Calgary it gets cold but not always snowy so the roads are dry. I had to react quick the other day as I hit a patch of ice left from cars dripping as they left the car wash. I did see a scooter rider today at it is about -5 c. He looked a little stressed as his open face helmet..... was an open faced helmet. I felt a bit smug with my muffs, full coverage Arai, and heated grips. I took a ribbing from my motocross buddies for buying the heavy and slow DRZ and I kept trying to tell them, think of this as a big scooter with lots of electricity. I have gained there respect and showed them the shear practicality of having a dual sport all weather maching for getting around. Even the police seem a little impressed and just can't bring themselves to give me the tickets they keep telling me I deserve.

I have the same set as Greyfisher which are almost the same as markjenn and co. I prevented the uneven heating insulating the right handle with a layer of cloth, a layer of electricians tape, and a layer of duct tape. I installed and taped the ends of the self-adhesive heating elements and, using hot water to loosen things up, fought the grips on-patience is a virtue and I'm feeling virtuous. I installed the 3-way toggle to the side of the instruments/idiot lights with a drop of 3m automotive trim adhesive. THe heat is very balanced and lots hot enough on low at -5 oC. In High they are too hot for bare hands.

The dual star units designed for bikes have throttle and clutch-side specific heating elements to compensate for the uneven heat-sink effects of direct bar mounting (clutch side) and throttle tube mounting. I've had them on several bikes and have been pleased with the even heat delivery. You use them with whatever grip you want. A good deal for ~$30: http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit2.htm

I too am looking at heated grips, there is a fair amount of information on this subject if you do a search, as I did earlier this evening.

The main thing I discovered is that they are about twice the price over here £39.99

Neil. :ride:??

I bought a set of Oxford hot grips, not the over wrap sort.

They heated up nice and evenly, and both sides are the same temp.

But, the throttle side packed up on the 4th. day ?

My trusty meter tells me it is internal, and not my wiring?

I have contacted Oxford and they want me to remove the offending grip and return it to them.

Return it in one piece, Yeah right, it is glued in place with the Super Glue they supplied.

It is on an Knurled/Alloy twist grip, and it is not gonna come off in one piece, more like one piece at a time.

Oh well, they were nice while they lasted ?:applause:

Neil.

???

Nothing on side specific heat with my Dual Star heaters :applause:

Oh well doesn't matter I was very pleased with them anyway. For my Canadian brothers I don't know hopw I rode for so many years without them. If / when I move back you bet all my bikes get them. 'Specially if it's Calgary. I used to freeze everything! 1 hand on the cylinders 1 on the bar.... 1 ride through the Rogers in summer will make anyone a believer.