Starting a 250f

I am deciding between a yz 250f and a yz 125 i hear good things about each and bad. One thing i want to know about the 250f is that i heard its a :banghead: to start. I never rode a 2 stroke be 4 so i dont no much about how it feels to ride one. Im 5'9 162 pounds, and im coming off of a ttr 125, but i'm way past due for a new bike. Could u just answer my question about startin the bike and what bike u think i should ride.

P.S.

I ride at a motocross practice track and i almost never ride trails, id also like to try a race or too if i feel comfortable on my new bike at the end of next season. :banghead:

I have no problems starting my yz250f (2005). With the advent of auto-decompression and the hot start lever it is rare that I have a problem starting the bike. The only issue I have is if it is like 20 degrees outside... then I have to kick the bike over 10 times instead of 3 and let it warm up for about 2 minutes instead of 30 seconds.

Go with the yzf! You cant go wrong.

I was concerned about it too, but it turned out to be easy (new 06).

Although once yesterday it kicked back and rammed my knee into the handlebar. Ouch!

I had the same thing happen to me. It hurt.. bad. Don't give it gas when you start it and it wont kick back and it'll start.

I had trouble kicked my 06 but that's only because I didn't know how to start it and it was really different from the 05's. Hot start and not using the choke was the key. TOTALLY different from my 230, which is awesome. I'm going to sell my 230 soon.

Anyways, get the 250f. I wanted a 2-stroke but as soon as I heard the 250f I knew what I wanted. It's awesome and btw I like how the 4-stroke performs much better than the 125 2-stroke.

Plus, if your going to race. Thumpers are the way to go.

If the bike is jetted properly and the valves are in spec it will start 1st or 2nd kick every time, even with manual decompression. The people that complain about the YZF's being hard to start are the ones who don't know how to dial thier bikes in. When I first got mine it was a bitch to start. After I got the jetting dialed in, it kicked over first or second kick every time. From what I gather two strokes are better about starting easily when the jetting isn't spot on.

When I fell on my 250f it was extreamly easy to start:

Picked up the bike, rolled it off the side.

Kicked it once using hotstart didn't start.

Turned off gas.

Kicked it again using hotstart, it started up.

Turned gas on, hit the next jump really hard because I was angry, and the bike loves it in the air. :banghead: