Sign in to follow this  

100 with hard to pull clutch lever

Hello there everyone, I am new here, and just bought my son his first clutch bike however the clutch is harder to pull than my 250. So I put new clutch plates both fiber and metal along with new springs. Still not any better that is what i get because I bought it used it is a 2002 model. Any ideas as to what to look for would be fantastic. thanks in advance Eric

Eric,

take the tank off and make sure there are no sharp bends or kinks in the cable. Also look for pinched cable by the triple clamps. If cable looks good, lube the cable and clutch lever at the pivot point. Hope that helps. Also I heard a CR clutch perch has a better leverage ratio for easier pull.

New springs may actually make it harder to pull if they are aftermarket as they are usually stiffer.

My wifes 03 100 has the same problem. I couldn't understand why her 100 clutch was twice as hard as my 400. I lubed it and even put the CR perch and lever on, but it still didn't help much. I've been thinking of maybe extending the actuator arm on the case for more leverage.

I thought my clutch pull on a used 95 was problematic, but I pulled the lever at the dealership on a new 05, and it was the same. I guess Honda just wants the kids to earn it or something.

Lube the living crap out of the cable. I lube mine twice a week to keep it smooth and its wayyy better then when I didn't lube it.

My CRF100 cluts is not that easy to pull either, I used to have to use all 4 fingers to pull it, But since I ride my 85 now I have to use 2 finger the clutch, And I do the same on my 100. But I've been looking at ways to make the clutch easier to pull. Awesome info here guys :applause: keep it up

:applause: Thanks for the info, just got back in from the garage and I took off the tank, there are no sharp bends or kinks in the cable so I disconnected it and moved it back and forth, it moves freely so I lubed, lubed and lubed it some more, Today I spoke to my local dealer and the head mechanic told me about extending the actuator arm for easier pull also said maybe to try the different perch and lever idea. I have ordered a MSR Easy Pull Lever and perch. Will try that and see if it helps. I put all new factory honda clutch parts in it. I can't tell you how nice it is to get as many thoughts on this as I have gotten. Thanks to all for the info. Will let you know what works if anything. You are definitely appreciated. Thanks again Eric

My wifes 03 100 has the same problem. I couldn't understand why her 100 clutch was twice as hard as my 400. I lubed it and even put the CR perch and lever on, but it still didn't help much. I've been thinking of maybe extending the actuator arm on the case for more leverage.

I extended actuator arm about half an inch. (It just barely clears the frame). It made it almost as easy to pull as my CRF250.

On race bikes the clutches are hydraulic. The XR's/CRF's are not. Try squeezing something thats really hard to squeeze (like a yamaha blaster clutch) and the XR/CRF100 clutch will seem easy.

How did you do the extension, don't by any chance have any pics for ideas :applause:

All I did was cut the arm, drilled a hole in each piece and bolted it together. I've got the motor apart right now so I'm going to weld a piece in. No pics, sorry.

• Like 1

i just got new tag t2's off ebay for $24 and i put my clutch on and now it is so much harder to pull the clutch in.

need help!!!!!!!!

:applause:

I extended actuator arm about half an inch. (It just barely clears the frame). It made it almost as easy to pull as my CRF250.

Just got a 2003 used. I did what some suggested here and bought a perch/lever for the 80. The lever is shorter and the perch brings the lever in about 3/4" so that someone with small hands can get more muscle and leverage on it.

My 12 year old daughter really likes the change. She can now control the clutch instead of "popping" it all the time.

Nice tip everyone.

I just did this to mine,

This is an awesome tip,

:) Thanks.

I just did this to mine,

This is an awesome tip,

:) Thanks.

Pics Please!!! Is there a replacement actuator arm that is longer? Or are you guys just adding a piece to the existing arm?