Vernal Utah???????

Well, I may be relocating to this thriving metropolis of Utah nowhereville, so how is the riding around there?

I know there is Moab not too far away, but I am looknig for advice on trails / tracks in the general area.

It is located at the NE corner of the state for those who may not know.

Thanks!

Joe :applause:

Not sure around Vernal, you could head west for a couple of hours & ride single track around Strawberry & Heber. If you don't flyfish, get a rod & learn how. If I was that close to the Green I may quit riding all together & just fish!

I line near Vernal, theres good riding here, mostly atv/jeep trails, not a lot of single track, but that is a short drive away, we have a motox track, and they are building a new motorsports park I guess, mild winters in town, plenty of snow on the mountain in winter, lot of snowmobileing, fishing, hunting, town shuts down on sunday, oil/gas boom going on right now, prices are high for housing. what else do you want to know? Dave

I drive through vernal every year after elk hunting and all i see is a massive play area. It's nuts and every time I dream of having my bike with me to go and ride.

My wife is from Vernal and her family has ridden out there for years and never seem to stop talking about new trails and areas to ride. They mostly ride ATV but there's alot of ridding to do out there. I've only ridden a few times out there with them but have had alot of fun every time. The places we've hit are Doc's Beach which is a mix of small sand dunes and hills, hard mud clay, sandstone and some ATV trails that are surprisingly fun to ride. Also a popular place to go is called the Honda Hills just outside of town, there is everything you can imagine out there. I shouldn't admit this but I've also been on the quads a few times and had a great time in the Uintahs but it would be very very rocky for bikes, none the less it was fun.

I line near Vernal, theres good riding here, mostly atv/jeep trails, not a lot of single track, but that is a short drive away, we have a motox track, and they are building a new motorsports park I guess, mild winters in town, plenty of snow on the mountain in winter, lot of snowmobileing, fishing, hunting, town shuts down on sunday, oil/gas boom going on right now, prices are high for housing. what else do you want to know? Dave

I am very excited to be close to the green river and try fishing the flamming gorge...

The ATV/Jeep trail will be ok cause the wife and son are novice riders right now.

How far to the motox track?

If I wind up there, it will be because of the oil/gas boom...:applause:

High home prices compared to denver though? I kinda doubt it. Is there any new construction homes being built there these days????

I've got to admit, this is the first time I've seen the words "High home prices" and Vernal in the same sentence. Plenty of decent riding near Vernal. Lots of GREAT riding within a couple of hours. The Swell, Moab, Junction, Rabbit Valley, Sand Wash...etc. Not too far to SLC if you just gotta do the city thing.

Dave, there's a place thats kinda like the Hanksville area that I rode once a long time ago. It was a ways south of Vernal, We also rode down to a little blm or state park called Fantasy Canyon. Have you been there? I would like to take my son there sometime.

• Like 1

I've rode a lil' around Vernal...and the good thing is you can go out your front door jump on your bike and head in any direction and find riding.

Dave, there's a place thats kinda like the Hanksville area that I rode once a long time ago. It was a ways south of Vernal, We also rode down to a little blm or state park called Fantasy Canyon. Have you been there? I would like to take my son there sometime.

This sounds like the "Badlands" of Wyoming (the area you describe being like Hanksville/Caineville). My understanding is that they are east of Evanston and north of Vernal somewhere (on your way to Flaming Gorge). I've heard good things about this area but never ridden there.

No, not the same place, I've been to the one you talking about once too. The UTMA use to have a ride there and the one I'm talking about. I tried to find Fantasy Canyon on google earth, but no luck. If I remember right it wasn't too far from Vernal and south. Anyway it's a fun play area.

Okay, I looked it up and it's call the Devil's Playground. It's says Fantasy Canyon is 27 mi. south of Vernal and the DP would be closer. Anyway,Joe if you can live w/o being close to a city, I think the Vernal area would be great.

Yeah I am ok with it, I have a wife and 2 kids so that is the most important part, housing schools etc. It sounds like a nice place and I will have no problem finding things to keep me busy. :ride:

And fishing the green river

Thanks for everyones help. :applause:

You are going to hate it there. No ridiing, no fishing, nothing to do at all except prais Jesus, and thank God you are still alive. Oh, and read the book of Mormon. You are going to need it. Have twenty more kids too.

TJ

This sounds like the "Badlands" of Wyoming (the area you describe being like Hanksville/Caineville). My understanding is that they are east of Evanston and north of Vernal somewhere (on your way to Flaming Gorge). I've heard good things about this area but never ridden there.

"The Badlands" is south of Mountain View, north of Lonetree. Pretty much right off the highway on your way south from the interstate.

but thats just one of many areas called "The Badlands" around here...

You are going to hate it there. No ridiing, no fishing, nothing to do at all except prais Jesus, and thank God you are still alive. Oh, and read the book of Mormon. You are going to need it. Have twenty more kids too.

TJ

gues you've never been there before :applause:

Its true the place pretty much shuts down on suday, but most towns in this region do. Hell, even SLC can be said to "shut down" on sundays with how little there is to do down there on an average sunday. If you want to go to a place that truly has "nothing to do" go an hour or so south east of there to Rangely. I bet you would think you were in hell there.

TJ

Sounds like someone needs to get out and ride a little more :applause:

I have never ridden vernal, but I can say if you like dinosours you will be in luck... :ride:

if you have no problems driving a couple of hours in any direction you will have no shortage if riding..

mormanism may seem different to some (and to me) but I can assure you that for the most part they are good people with good values.. I would rather live in a neiborhood full of mormans rather than a nieborhood full of crime... :applause:

I have never ridden vernal, but I can say if you like dinosours you will be in luck... :ride:

if you have no problems driving a couple of hours in any direction you will have no shortage if riding..

mormanism may seem different to some (and to me) but I can assure you that for the most part they are good people with good values.. I would rather live in a neiborhood full of mormans rather than a nieborhood full of crime... :applause:

I was born and raised mormon so I am not worried about that. I no longer am a member though.

I think it sounds like a pretty good place to live. And I am now pursuring the job opportunity there. Wish me luck, and thanks for everyones replies. Very helpful

Joe

Bring a snowmobile, a street bike and a dirt bike, you can ride all on the same day sometimes!!! leave the quads in Colorado please