best year to buy used?

I'd probably want to go with an 03 if I was on a budget because they made a lot of upgrades and it's lighter. However, my 02 has been great on the track and suspension hasn't bothered me. Just get correct springs. There really isn't much difference in 01-02's.

just bought an '02, should be out on it soon. paid 2k for it and it has a few upgrades (see garage). from previous experience in the shop I work at, they are all good... if you take care of them. shop around and you'll find one. keep up on the maintenance and ride on!

the main thing is how much it has been ridden. Look for signs of wear. Be sure it starts REAL easy, cold and hot. You should not need the hot start unless the bike is flooded. Hard starting could be a sign the bike has a tight valve, which you will spend money on.

I just picked up an 03 for $2400 (its almost winter here, best time to buy) my first 125 class bike in 12+ years (always had 250s 450s) It flat hauls! I love it and highly recomend an 03 or newer. My friend has an 05 kfx250 i've riden it and I wouldn't say its much, if at all better. Its defenatly NOT 3K better. Save some money and find a CLEAN 03-04 they are out there! Good luck!

the main thing is how much it has been ridden. Look for signs of wear. Be sure it starts REAL easy, cold and hot. You should not need the hot start unless the bike is flooded. Hard starting could be a sign the bike has a tight valve, which you will spend money on.

I think you are a little off base here. The hot start is there for a reason. You sometimes need to use it when its "hot". Suggesting that there is a problem because you need to use the "hotstart" is just wrong. If a tight valve and a reshim was the only thing I could find wrong on a used bike I would buy it in a second. Just start from the front wheel and work your way back. General appearance will help you to decide wether a bike has been cared for. There is something to be said for the guy who rides his bike and yearly strips it down for maitanace as apposed to the rider who just puts it away for the winter untill the following year. Unless your a rider who has the experiance and can feel the differance between suspensions, or triple clamps, fancy bars and exhausts, pick something up that fits your budget and go have some fun. 01,02,03,04. Its still all about the rider. Someone posted a thread on one of the forums awhile back about the top harescrmbles rider in their state was winning on a 5 year old xr250.

I live in the Pocono Mts. of Pa. and want to buy a new bike so I am selling.

2003 Yamaha WR 250f - High performance competition four stroke motor with incredible suspension makes for an awesome easy to ride woods machine. Plenty of bling included. Carbon fiber protection EVERYWHERE, Renthall bars, Zip-Ty red anodized hot start carb nut and Factory Effects graphics. Bike is dialed-in perfectly with Boysen Quick Shot, J.D. jetting, PowerNowPlus complete system (2 valves), Barnum screened side cover (to increase airflow, no cut airbox, stock cover is included for use on water days), Twin Air filter and cage, and all free mods done. Also, Tusk handguards, Unibiker wrap-around rad guards. Lighted jetting meter with O2 sensor ensures crisp running. This bike rips, has incredible low end torque and absolutely no bog! Minor cosmetic damage i.e. scratches on plastic, fingernail size tear (non-spreading) in seat. Bike fully serviced earlier this year. All bearings greased including steering stem. Tires, chain, sprockets plenty good. Valves checked and still in specs. Oil and filter changed every 5 - 8 rides and I'm a C rider who likes to putt around and keep the rpm's down low. Bike needs nothing and is ready to ride! GYT-R insert and spark arrestor included for those that want quiet. Best/quickest offer above $3000.

Call Pete at 570 807-7594 and leave message/number if I don't answer.

I own an '01 and am actively racing it in the 40+ A class in a local harescrambles series here in Colorado. I just had my suspension revalved and the bike has a 262 big bore kit. It is still very competitive and a great bike. Having said that, I wish I had an '03 or later because of the better seat/tank ergonomics, but it's not a deal breaker in my opinion.

Aftermarket pipes and accessories that are specific for an '01 & '02 are starting to become cheaper. I have noticed several pipes on eBay that are brand new and selling for a lot less than list price. I imagine there are companies that are overstocked with accessories for '01 and '02 models and they are not selling that well so they are blowing them out at a discount.

I currently think the '03 is the best bang for the buck, but always buy newer if the price is right.

• 2 weeks later...