Sign in to follow this  

Relocating to the Northwest... need advice!

my vote would be for the Vanouver ,WA location. better schools than Oregon, no state income tax, excellent location between Seattle and Eugene. Eastern Vancouver is booming with very high end homes and more work would be available closer to the big cities. Just my .02

And to live that close to the Washougal MX track would be very cool! Always wanted to ride there.... looks just like Mammoth MX in California, at least in the pics. I've ridden at Mammoth, hopefully next summer I can try Washougal.

my vote would be for the Vanouver ,WA location. better schools than Oregon, no state income tax, excellent location between Seattle and Eugene. Eastern Vancouver is booming with very high end homes and more work would be available closer to the big cities. Just my .02

And you can slip into Oregon and buy goods tax free! :applause:

Central Oregon, enough said.

I live in Vancouver. If you move here (Portland/Vancouver) you will pay a fortune for your house - mine has almost doubled in 5 years. It is crowded and the weather, well, sucks about 7 months out of the year.

Bend is great but it is more expensive than here and is just as crowded! Look in the margin of Bend (Prineville). You've got the high desert weather, thousands of acres of federal lands, an awesome reservoir, great people that aren't running a thousand different directions at once, and affordable (for now) property. As soon as I can convince my 12 year old daughter I am there!

And another thing...don't listen to the worriers about the bust in the housing boom. It won't happen. Rather do some research in what has happened (history) and supply vs. demand. Worst cast it will slow down. But, hey, nothing wrong with earning 8-10% on an investment that you're into only 20%!!!

Greg

Supply and demand. If you look at how the local idiot governments have constricted the urban growth boundries, how the b!tch in Salem has ruled against measure 37 and tied that up for who knows how long, the supply is going to dwindle, making the housing slow way down. Maybe not drop off completely, but scale way back from what it is now.

Happy Valley as an example. When I started building here, there was enough demand to support 250-300 new homes a year. This year alone there are over 1500 new starts, and approx. 1200 more lots available. The production builders from the West side have come over to the East side because of the lack of building lots available to them. Lot prices have shot through the roof, 3 to 4 years ago a 7000sf lot was $45-65K, now your lucky to get one at $180K closer to $200K. The median price for a starter home is now over $217K, and where is the infrastructure to support this massive increase in home building on the east side? No Nikes, or IBMs, or new factory jobs, ect.

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely hope you are right in that it is going to be peaches and cream for the forseeable future, but after talking to some of the local realtors and other builders who have been in the buisness for years, I am going to play it safe for a while and stick to doing 4 or 5 of the $850K+ custom homes and try to stay away from specs.

Steven

Haven't been back to the Old Pueblo since we made the move.....Feb of '04. No desire. Although the golf was good!

If ya make it by April....try the Desert 100....Poker Run & Race in Odessa, WA (near Moses Lake). AWESOME weekend.

PM me if you make it this way & we'll go for a rip.

Good luck.

Jeff

Like the guys were saying earlier in this thread, the northern counties wouldn't be a bad idea, although I know your looking for a more southern city to live in.

My dad is a contractor in Oak Harbor on the north end of Whidbey Island, and I can safely say there is NO lack of trade jobs up there relating to construction. In fact, Oak Harbor is one of the fastest growing cities in washington, and I think its even ranked one of the fasted in the US. I don't know if its ranked higher then Bellingham or not, but I know its pretty close. Just thought I would throw that out there...

i'm moving to Bend in January. i have a number of friends there and have hung out and visited there a lot, and like everyone here has said already...its a recreation playground! business there is booming and there is no shortage of jobs, and plenty of fun to be had on the weekends! :applause:

Oak Harbor on the north end of Whidbey Island, and I can safely say there is NO lack of trade jobs up there relating to construction.

I can offer this. Oak Harbor is so busy right now that we ship a glazier crew down there almost weekly from bellingham. Bellingham is out of control, and i doubt there will be a downswing no matter what the housing and economy do. Its been ranked the #1 city/town for outdoor recreation in the USA. Downside is most dont pay a prevailing wage or what you think you should earn, they dont have to. And housing is a little spendy, but not bad. Houses go for around 200k starting, but i rent a great place for $750, so not that bad. I can sail beutiful lakes, the ocean, kayak,rock climb, backcountry ski, hike, fish, and ride my dirt bike all within an hour of home. I lived in bend, and it was great, but its way better here.

I live in Hood River, Oregon...you must check it out if your're going to be visiting the area. I used to live in Prescott, Arizona also. Did tons of mountain biking while there. Lots more opportunities to ride mountain bikes and motorcycles here. This is a recreational mecca. Hood River is a great town but it's starting to become a "Little Aspen", sort of expensive. You're also forced to participate in some winter sports for a couple of months per year but not bad at all. Its basically PARADISE!!! I work for the County Forestry Department so stop by and say hello if you get to town. Good Luck!

The world's best beer is made in Bend, Deshautes Mirror Pond Pale Ale. If you enjoy a smooth ale with no bitter aftertaste, it's nirvana.

I live in Seattle, and just in my neighborhood, there are 5 homes under renovation. But you'd have to either commute to your jobs or commute to a place to ride. Given that the job is always somewhere else, live where you can ride. And that's not within the Seattle area.

I realize that southern Oregon isn't between Eugene and Seattle but there are $$$$ and places to ride. Just something else to consider.

I live in Hood River, Oregon...you must check it out if your're going to be visiting the area. I used to live in Prescott, Arizona also. Did tons of mountain biking while there. Lots more opportunities to ride mountain bikes and motorcycles here. This is a recreational mecca. Hood River is a great town but it's starting to become a "Little Aspen", sort of expensive. You're also forced to participate in some winter sports for a couple of months per year but not bad at all. Its basically PARADISE!!! I work for the County Forestry Department so stop by and say hello if you get to town. Good Luck!

Hey neighbor, I live across the river in Underwood. Where do you usually ride around here? I usually do Binns and Middle Fork up by Trout Lake and then I try to get to Eddieville everytime the have a track day. I used to ride behind Mosier alot but they started cracking down a little so I am taking a break from there. Of course during the winter it is usually the two hour drive out to Tillamook. See ya on the trail.