hot pipe!

I have a canadian wr426 and have talked to a few people now about my hot pipe. i mean, if i let her idle for 2 or 3 minutes on warm up in a dimly lit room, the first 8 inches or so coming out of the cylinder will glow a cherry red. Everyone so far has said that it is normal but i just figured that i would run it by you guys and get some more opinions. is just seams that if it is that freakin hot, i wonder what my valves and pistons look like when she is running. oh ya, my friend has a yz250f and his pipe looks completely normal (like new) where mine is a blueish purple for the first 8 inches. Also when my bike was new the pipe was silver, now the whole thing is gold. Could it be running a little lean on idle causing it to be very hot? any suggestions on this would be greatly apreciated. Thax Matt.

------------------

Northernryder, this subject has come up before. The header pipe on a WR400/426 can glow red hot. Not to worry this is normal. When I first noticed it on my WR I freaked also. But, after reading several post on the subject and having ridden my bike for well over a year now with zero problems I just came to realize that I am riding a fire breathing dragon! ? Scan the archives. I'm pretty sure you will find some discussion about this. Thanks, P

Note: I also have the Canadian model. :D

[This message has been edited by PMAUST (edited August 26, 2001).]

Like Pmaust I too have the Canadian scoot, the only time that I notice the glow is at night. Me and most of my friends have stock jetting on our WR's. On our last outing to hell and back it was a funny sight to see 4 Yahaha's in a row with all orange head pipes crusin down a tight trail. None of us have had any signs of valve damage or other problems. I ride at sealevel with stock jetting and stock timing. see ya

I have a canadian '01 WR250, and my headpipe glows as well. Yesterday, I rode in the rain, and 15 minutes after I stopped, raindrops landing on the silencer disappeared instantly...just made little hiss noises.

It appears that it's just a fact of life. But I think we can all agree, you don't want to get pinned under this sucker!

Tex Labo

'01 WR250

'01 DRZ-E (for sale)