Sign in to follow this  

Almost too hard to Kick

I have an 04 RMZ250, when I got the bike (used) the kick start felt like a hot knife through butter, super soft with hardly any force required to kick, starting was difficult, especially when hot, required a lot of kicking!

I have now replaced the valves with a Kibblewhite black diamond set, with matching springs and retainers and stem seals. Also replaced the piston rings while we were at it. The seats had nick's in them so we had the seats machined to match the new valves perfectly. We then set the valve clearances.

Now the kick start is almost impossible to depress. It sticks right at the top and is quite solid all the way through the stroke, and still takes a good couple of kicks to start when hot. It will only start in neutral and with the decompression lever pulled in. I thought the RMZ450 was hard to start, but that is a breeze in comparison.

I love the bike to bits, and want this starting problem sorted! Can anyone help?

I had this problem also but could not get the bike running.

The problem that occurred to me was that after shimming my valves the bike started as usual with no problem. Then is stalled and was hard to kick over after that. It would kick over normally without the spark plug in but was extremely tough with it in (kinda like it had enourmous compression)

Investigation revealed that my exhaust cam had moved out of its position and the gear end was rubbing on the cover and side of head.

Why the timing chain did not come off is odd. Why the cam could move when the retainer clip was still in it upon disassembly is also odd.

Bike works fine now just one of those fluke things thats hard to explain.

I think I'm gunna get my mechanics to open it up again and check the timing bits and pieces. I think the intake cam was pretty tight, might go a little softer on the torque, and recheck the clearances.

I think I'm also gunna have them set the carb to the standard needle position etc.

It's almost like it gets stuck at a point in the stroke and there aint no way that lever is going anywhere.

I would be checking those cams. They might be starting to bind if they were not installed properly. They need to be checked after they are torqued down to make sure that they still move freely. The tolerances are so fine that is does not take much to stop things spinning freely.

Don't run the motor or keep turning it over until they are checked. You may free it up but you will cause damage to the cams/head that will come back to haunt you.

Just cracked the head open again, found the problem alomst immediately. It seems the Cams were not installed properly and were sitting too far over in the head. The C clips were not seated and were running on the inside of where they sould have been, not in the groove at all. All this was causing the Auto decompressor to run up against the inside of the head, making the decompressor stick open, thus never decompressing.

To make matters worse, the timing was also out one tooth.

Good thing we caught it fairly early. Some quick adjustments and the bolts re-torqued to the new spec. Oil and filter change, and the bike is running sweet.

:applause:

Just cracked the head open again, found the problem alomst immediately. It seems the Cams were not installed properly and were sitting too far over in the head. The C clips were not seated and were running on the inside of where they sould have been, not in the groove at all. All this was causing the Auto decompressor to run up against the inside of the head, making the decompressor stick open, thus never decompressing.

To make matters worse, the timing was also out one tooth.

Good thing we caught it fairly early. Some quick adjustments and the bolts re-torqued to the new spec. Oil and filter change, and the bike is running sweet.

:applause:

The thing that impresses me the most is that someone actually made all those bits fit the way they did and then got it to run.

Yeah I cant believe it could actually work with so many things out of order!

It's so much better now, starts first kick, and has a nice lever feel on the starter. I can't wait to go riding!