Sign in to follow this  

Wheelies and gearing on DR650

I read a lot about wheelies on the DR650. Can it be done with the stock gearing? I know on mine with stock gearing it would take some clutch abuse. I have done the usual jetting/box/pipe work and the bike seemed to respond well. It feels good thru the full range of throttle and gears, but it will not power the wheel up more than a few inches in 2nd gear. Just wondering if I am short on power or long on respect for the clutch.

I'd say it's about impossible to power wheelie in 2nd gear. Second needs the clutch, first is okay to power.

Comes up in 2nd no clutch on my dynojeted 650 but I have a 14t CS.

I'm sure its doable with stock gearing if you are riding uphill, or a good wheelier!

I'm sure its doable with stock gearing if you are riding uphill, or a good wheelier!

Going to a 14 tooth is like adding 3-4 in the back. That changes everything. I've been wheelieing for 20 years and other than getting the tire to coast 3" in the air without the clutch, not much else is gonna happen. I've thought about going to a 47 in the back to make 3rd gear torque enough to lift the front end.

same here i can wheelie NP in 2nd with just wacking the throttle open. going to a 14thooth front takes 10 minutes to swap out

same here i can wheelie NP in 2nd with just wacking the throttle open. going to a 14thooth front takes 10 minutes to swap out

What's NP??? Also, there is a difference between a power wheelie and a balanced wheelie. I can't figure out how a stocker can go into a full blown balance wheelie in second gear. You must be yanking on the bars and sitting on the rear fender.

no problem=np

when i had the aftermarket pipe and dj kit, mine would come up in second, not much but it would do a low cruise over the deck under hard acceleration.

I have the 14t and the dynojet,160jet plus the pipe and I have to pull to get the wheel up in 1st. I'm at 5600 feet any suggestions?

15t dj kit 160 main,,stock pipe,airbox mod,,,no pulling needed,,twist and up she comes

15t dj kit 160 main,,stock pipe,airbox mod,,,no pulling needed,,twist and up she comes

First yes...........second??? I'm also on a 1990 and they had a stronger engine than the 96 and up.

What's NP??? Also, there is a difference between a power wheelie and a balanced wheelie. I can't figure out how a stocker can go into a full blown balance wheelie in second gear. You must be yanking on the bars and sitting on the rear fender.
Ok you got me....for me..its No Problem to wack the throttle yank the bars and im up....and BTW i'm in the middle of the seat, not on the fender.. but seriously it will just come up a foot in between shifts(1st to 2nd)with out even trying

:applause:

So it sounds like the gearing is the way to go for wheelies, but I am not willing to trade top end and gas mileage. Glad to hear it's not lacking horse power. I also have trouble when I am riding loose stuff. Second is a little low and third is a little too tall. I am afraid second would get worse with the 14 tooth (although third might be friendlier)

So it sounds like the gearing is the way to go for wheelies, but I am not willing to trade top end and gas mileage. Glad to hear it's not lacking horse power. I also have trouble when I am riding loose stuff. Second is a little low and third is a little too tall. I am afraid second would get worse with the 14 tooth (although third might be friendlier)

Second is too low? Man, my 2nd gear is good for about 45+ mph. I can't really use anything other than 1st when off roading. I want to drop down for offroad and more low end, but I also know that I like riding 90+ on the street and that would push the rpm's into the gas guzzler zone.

Wish list would be a taller 5th gear so I could put on a bigger rear sprocket.

Second is too low? Man, my 2nd gear is good for about 45+ mph. I can't really use anything other than 1st when off roading. I want to drop down for offroad and more low end, but I also know that I like riding 90+ on the street and that would push the rpm's into the gas guzzler zone.

Wish list would be a taller 5th gear so I could put on a bigger rear sprocket.

When I ride off road it's usually sandy adirondack seasonal roads. The wacko's I ride with run third gear wound up pretty good. They all wait for me at intersections. I run 2nd and I am just getting used to the need to spin the rear all the time. You are right 2nd is good into the 40's and when you get going that fast and need to nail it cause the road got softer you end up going pretty fast. These roads are pretty wide so they are friendly if you are willing to get on it and lay into it, but in open sunny areas the sand is like beach sand. I am just starting to get used to it. I have learned letting off is not an option.

Try your wheelies uphill. Makes a big difference. the front wheel is already higher than the rear.

Wheelying is more art than anything else. My brother used to yank big 2nd gear wheelies with no clutch on his DR250 which had like 1/2 the power of a DR650.

Go figure!

Try your wheelies uphill. Makes a big difference. the front wheel is already higher than the rear.

Wheelying is more art than anything else. My brother used to yank big 2nd gear wheelies with no clutch on his DR250 which had like 1/2 the power of a DR650.

Go figure!

I can pull 4th gear wheelies on my WR250, but it is the gearing which makes a bike easier to wheelie in higher gears. If the 650 was geared the way the DR250 was, it would probably wheelie up to 4th with no clutch.

Ha! 14/45 drive front wheel lifts in second from a stop or slow crawl like coming out of a tight corner in the dirt with 14 psi in the rear tire (new kenda track master 130/90/17] sitting your self in the apex of the stock seat. so throw the gel seat on and a trail wing on the rear with 42 rear sprocket and forget the second gear loft from o stop or roll with out some butt movement and yanking of the bars. mmm? go figure! also the dampers in the sprocket hub steals some of the torque.

also the dampers in the sprocket hub steals some of the torque.

Word! And it's about time it stops doing that! :applause: