Sign in to follow this  

Goodbye 4strokes, hello KTM

Loved my 250X, but went orange this weekend with XC-W300. What a blast! Light, easy to start, tons of torque and power to spare. Very docile down low and rips up top. See ya and thanks for all the helps over the last two years.

interesting. I'm thinking of going the other way.

I've got an '03 KTM 300 MXC that's a blast to ride and has tons of power and everything. But after two seasons of racing supermoto on my '04 CRF250R, and plenty of dirt training rides, I've decided my 250R is more fun (even with slicks in the dirt). I figure a 250x has to be a ton of fun for play riding and occasional hare scrambles. The 300 is just too much power and leaves me exhausted after a day of trail riding.

I hope to be putting my KTM as well as my '01 XR400 (that I kept for the green sticker) on the market this year or next and replacing them both with a 250x.

handlebar...... where are you???

I'm still lurking in the forum....waiting for the proper post. This man knows what he is doing :applause::ride: to the KTM 300 :p

I'm still lurking in the forum....waiting for the proper post. This man knows what he is doing :applause::ride: to the KTM 300 :p

Just checkin dude. BTW, did you notice that I'm playing with a 2-stroke myself lately? They are fun, but my son is sold on the CRF powerband.

interesting. I'm thinking of going the other way.

I've got an '03 KTM 300 MXC that's a blast to ride and has tons of power and everything. But after two seasons of racing supermoto on my '04 CRF250R, and plenty of dirt training rides, I've decided my 250R is more fun (even with slicks in the dirt). I figure a 250x has to be a ton of fun for play riding and occasional hare scrambles. The 300 is just too much power and leaves me exhausted after a day of trail riding.

I hope to be putting my KTM as well as my '01 XR400 (that I kept for the green sticker) on the market this year or next and replacing them both with a 250x.

:applause: , we gonna go do some motard practice? I got an R finally......

If not you shoudl try and hit the Wilseyville HS this weekend...... Throwin on the knobs and runnin the X for that though.

Loved my 250X, but went orange this weekend with XC-W300. What a blast! Light, easy to start, tons of torque and power to spare. Very docile down low and rips up top. See ya and thanks for all the helps over the last two years.

The XC-W models are great bikes and depends on your riding style and type of riding you do. The downside of the KTM's is the maintenance issues and the how easy it is strip out bolts, maybe a different quality of alluiminum than the Japaness bikes. Make sure you use a torque wrench on everything. Both bikes have there pro's and con's and you are going to be very happy on the KTM XC-W if you are a woods rider/racer. The suspension is very very good compared to the older models and they are very narrow and great to ride in tight conditions. I think you are going to be very happy.....good luck.

feels the 2 stroke 250 is the best overall combo for his needs.

I've had to deal with the "best bike" issue for some time. First off, I really like 4-strokes and the X has been phenomenal. But I also like snappy response, light weight and power. We ride a lot of long sand hill climbs and at 5,000 ft altitude, power is a prerequisite. The X would pull me, but not with "dignity". I considered a 450, but the ones I've ridden just feel more like a tractor; brute power, but not crisp and snappy like a well-jetted 250 2-stroke. My biggest problem is that once I get enough power to really pull the long sand hills, the power level is on the verge of overkill on the tight SX style track we also ride. For now, I'm playing with the CR250 and it looks promising. If that doesn't get it, I'll try the 450. In the end, I'll probably have the CR and a CRF of some sort.

The 300 will take good care of you in Colorado. I too considered the move...just not able to make any moves right now ($$$).

I rode the 300 XCW at a KTM Demo Day. They had a nice course set up through the woods. I had read so much about the 300 over at KTM Talk.

I knew to respect the throttle when I jumped on for a test ride...it took about 10 seconds. I just blipped the throttle and the thing wanted to take off. I was like damn!

Then I proceeded to ride a gear higher...just right! I really tried to stall it and couldn't. The torque was really impressive.

The only thing I didn't like was the suspension. Just not as plush as the X.

Enjoy the new bike!!! :applause: