Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Dragging

Ever since I got my bike it seems to drag when the clutch is engaged. Even after adjuting it to get maximum pull on the lever, in gear the bike wants to move forward and the chain is taught. It seems to half engage and then later release, and a little later it drags again. If you dont keep the revs up, it will stall.

I have replaced all the cork plates and checked the steel ones for signs of warping, the basket looks like new still? I have changed the oil to a fully synthetic but still have the same problem. The clutch cable is also new.

It doesnt make too much difference when riding though, it doesnt slip.

Is there anything else I should be looking for in the clutch? :applause:

The fingers on the basket were quite grooved. I filed the edges down and flattened them to allow the plates to slide out easier. Seems to be much better, but I measured the springs while I had them out and they're almost 3 mm out of spec. I'll order new ones and replace them when they arrive.

I'm definately going to replace the springs with new ones. I try that first, if it happens again then I'll shim them up to preload the spring.

Thanks for the link

Neville15,

Get in touch with RC876 or call the number for 2TwoCool and talk to Norman. He can hook you up with a guy that sells stainless or titanium clutch springs and you will not have this problem at all. The titanium springs are a bit pricey but the stainless one's I think are about $60. I got the stainless one's and have not had a problem on my '04 rmz250. Good luck.

Charlie

Neville15,

Get in touch with RC876 or call the number for 2TwoCool and talk to Norman. He can hook you up with a guy that sells stainless or titanium clutch springs and you will not have this problem at all. The titanium springs are a bit pricey but the stainless one's I think are about $60. I got the stainless one's and have not had a problem on my '04 rmz250. Good luck.

Charlie

The Stainless springs are from WMR, they are awesome they don't sack out like the stockers because of the special stainless wire. They have stronger pressure to but you can't feel it at the lever. www.wmr1.com

The Stainless springs are from WMR, they are awesome they don't sack out like the stockers because of the special stainless wire. They have stronger pressure to but you can't feel it at the lever. www.wmr1.com

Which plates do you use these with?