Sign in to follow this  

Does your CRF450R Use oil?

I Have a 2003 CRF450R and I supermoto it. Now I'm new to the four strokes. And Change my oil ever weekend after a race. What I've noticed is that I fill the bike up to the High mark on the sight window and after the race weekend I notice that the oil is on the Low limit sometimes lower than that. Is this normal useage or should I look into a new top end?

Peace

GP

I race MX and after a weekend of practice and racing the level doesn't change. You appear to have some blow by going on.

My '03 used oil from the beginning. Did regular oil and filter changes, kept an eye on the level and never had a problem with the engine.

There you go-2 riders with '03's Greg01 and I. So either way I suppose you're okay. However, mine does not use oil and his does. Which engine would you rather have in your bike?

I've got 2 CRF450 motors, an 04 and 05 and they both "use" oil, actually it's more like they blow it out the tube that is suppose to go to the air box. Both of my motors did this when they were new and they both still do it after adding a JE 13.5:1 piston. The JE piston's was also installed with the "dry" assembly technique and broken in hard!

I have a 2004, and I always fill the engine with the amount of oil recommended in the manual (I think its like .72 liters???). Anyways, when I do this, the oil level is above the window. However, after the engine heats up and I ride for a little bit, the oil drops just below the "high" mark in the window, when I put it back on a center stand.

If your bike has used oil from the beginning it is possible your rings never seated well. In any event, if you're using alot of oil and don't seem to have any other problems you may need to replace your rings.

It will go down some after you run it because you are filling the oil filter and and cavity up. Next time after changing the oil, run it for just a few min. and see how much it's down then. I'll bet it's close to where you're at now.