Bringing the Bike to College

Right now I'm applying, and starting to get ready for college. One concern though, is what I am going to do with my bike, tools, equipment, etc. I know someone here has gone out of town, lived on campus, and had to find a place to keep and work on their bike. What did you do? What about some kind of climate-controlled warehouse or something? I need a place to do regular maintenence and stuff.

So, any ideas?

My brother is also going to college after next summer to probably SJSU, even though he can go to like any college he wants but he wants to stay close to home and he will probably live at home also, so he can keep his bike here. He lucky he is smart. :ride: I don't know how much they are but what about renting a storage space. :applause:

I just relocated to arizona from virgina, right now I keep the bike cable locked to the back of my truck. Keep the basic tools in the extra cab portion, and work on the bike while its in my truck usually. You can't do major stuff, but adjusting chain, changing oil, checking valves, suspension adjustments ect. can all be done this way.

dont bring your bike to school man. i think its about 90% of the reason i quit school this year.. found myself out riding every day when I was suppose to be in class :applause: you have no idea how hard it is to sit in class when its absolutely beautiful out and all you gotta do is walk out the door and you can be riding

dont bring your bike to school man. i think its about 90% of the reason i quit school this year.. found myself out riding every day when I was suppose to be in class :applause: you have no idea how hard it is to sit in class when its absolutely beautiful out and all you gotta do is walk out the door and you can be riding

Might be good advice here......Hate to say it but maybe first semester at college maybe should be figuring out what the hell is going on, in addition to classes, girls, parties, being a newb on campus, scheduling, dorm life, having a roomate or more.....finding suitable housing for your bike might come in after Thanksgiving.......may also need to check on as being a freshman if you have campus parking?....whatever ...good luck and focus on school right now!

I would check for a smaller storage unit. If you need heat when working on it, buy one of those "lil buddy" heaters. They will knock the chill off and are cheap.

One of my co-workers lives in a apartment and keeps his bike in a enclosed trailer in the summer. In the winter he takes the bike to his parents and keeps his snowmobile in the trailer.

I would talk to a local bike shop/dealer......maybe you could help them out a couple hours a week if they let you keep your bike there.

That's a great idea. That way you can get some more experience on working on the bike, and other bikes for that matter. If I were going back to school, this would be something to definately check out. :applause:

I thought about getting an eclosed trailer, and just finding a place to keep that, but that would make maintenence hard, and I think it will get way too hot in it during the summer to keep a bike. I guess a storage space with electricity is the way to go. I don't know who I'll be rooming with, so I don't want to plan on keeping it in the dorm (not that there will be room anyway).

I understand that I'm not going to be riding much the first couple of months. If I go somewhere far away, I'm not going to be able to come home much, so I'd like to go ahead and take it with me.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Im a sophmore in college (living in the dorms) and for my freshman year, 1st semester, I left my bike at home. I knew I'd get way too distracted with it here....w/o it I was able to figure out just how much effort I had to put into school and how much screwing around I could get away with. For 2nd sem. my roomie and I got a storage shed. He keeps his truck in there and I keep my toys (snowmobile, bike, tools) It doesn't have electricity which seriously sucks. This year I know enough ppl with houses its not a big deal if I need to use power or water for my pressure washer as I'll just go over there. Next year we've got a big house with a nice big garage so I'm set.

If you think you can handle your schooling and riding I'd say don't listen to this advice. I'm a freshmen in college that went through the same thing you are. I decided to take my bike up to college because I felt I couldn't do without it. I go to school full time, work 22-24 hours a week, ride on some days during the week and almost every weekend, and still manage to find time to pull good grades. It can be done. Its all about discipline.

Luckily my boss is really cool and he lets me keep my bike in his garage.

Working on my bike is definitely the biggist pain in the ass though. I'm only 60 miles away from home so I save my bigger maintenance stuff for the times when I go home.

I'd say go for it man. If you can't find someone that will let you store it in their garage I guess a storage shed will be you next best bet. Just make sure you get your priorities straight and you'll be fine.

-Nick

Sacramento State

Take the bike if you live in on campus apartments. I took mine, kept it in a freinds garage and brought it to the apartment complex on weekends to wash and prepare for rides. It WILL help you get laid!! Got several shots of ass due to the bike :applause: