Sign in to follow this  

Acerbis Aftermarket tank VS IMS and Clark

http://www.dealsgapunigo.com/DR650_Safari.html

Over 8 gallons. Potentially 500 mile range. But $550 plus shipping.

I am really considering ordering one of these. I noticed that you mentioned they are available in colours, as well as white. When I enquired about the tank a couple of months ago, Robin from R&V e-mailed me the details, but stated that they were available only in white. I would want a blue one if they made it. Maybe the colour option is a new thing?

The white is clear though, you can see the fuel level through it. If wanted a blue tank, I'd get a clear one and have it painted blue with a vertical stripe left bare on either side of the tank like old ducatis with the fiberglass tanks. Just my taste, I think that'd look bitchin. And you could put little gallon markings on the stripe.

Paint does not stick well to the plastic tanks. Your options would be to have a fiberglass/carbon fiber cover made for it, and paint that, or just get it molded in colored plastic. Paint on the plastic will bubble.

-Dave

Paint on the plastic will bubble.

-Dave

That is not true. There's a plastic primer made for it that a professional painter should have or know about. A friend of mine has painted some dirt bike tanks and none bubbled. They may not look perfect forever, but that probably has more to do with them being dirt bike tanks and how they're used. If you want to experiment, try krylon fusion (color choice is limited, but they have a nice bright red and an ok blue that's a little darker than suzuki blue). It definitely sticks to plastic, but I haven't tried it on fuel tank plastic. I've used the fusion paint on numberplates though--no chance of it coming off.

Is there a motorcycle behind that tank????
Yah, the website says it keeps some wind off of your knees and legs. I'm thinking it might serve as a honda airbag in a pinch, as well.

Hmm.. I might have to look into that later on. A few years back some guys tried painting Polini pocketbike tanks (plastic) with horrendous bubbling as a result.

The plastic flex agent I know about just allows the paint to flex more (i.e. plastic fenders). The problem with the gas tanks is fuel likes to leech out of it in gaseous form, which is why stickers and paint tends to bubble. I bet Krylon fusion would bubble as well. It's not a problem of adhesion as much as it is controlling the fumes seeping out from the plastic.

-Dave

That is not true. There's a plastic primer made for it that a professional painter should have or know about. A friend of mine has painted some dirt bike tanks and none bubbled. They may not look perfect forever, but that probably has more to do with them being dirt bike tanks and how they're used. If you want to experiment, try krylon fusion (color choice is limited, but they have a nice bright red and an ok blue that's a little darker than suzuki blue). It definitely sticks to plastic, but I haven't tried it on fuel tank plastic. I've used the fusion paint on numberplates though--no chance of it coming off.

Hmm.. I might have to look into that later on. A few years back some guys tried painting Polini pocketbike tanks (plastic) with horrendous bubbling as a result.

The plastic flex agent I know about just allows the paint to flex more (i.e. plastic fenders). The problem with the gas tanks is fuel likes to leech out of it in gaseous form, which is why stickers and paint tends to bubble. I bet Krylon fusion would bubble as well. It's not a problem of adhesion as much as it is controlling the fumes seeping out from the plastic.

-Dave

so true this why the new off road bikes have no graphics on the tank . well not the main reason for the design but look the guards are the decorative part.

Who sells the Aqualine tank?
Oh, the guy's name is Francois, and he posts on the yahoo group, DR650. He said it is for sale at the dealership where he works (near Deal's Gap, I think). I believe he said that he will get another batch in December.

Here is his most recent message on the site regarding the tanks:

I've got the Aqualine tank on my re-jetted 02 DR650. I tend to run a little on

the aggresive

side, and my commute is a mix of 70-90mph blasts and 35-55 "hard on the throttle

twisty

mountain road". Under those conditions I gas up at about 400 miles. If I'm

trail riding

and behaving on the asphalt I can get closer to 500 miles out of a tank.

It's been listed as a 30 liter tank, but it is actually closer to 34 liters. I

still had about 4

inches on both sides when I filled it up and put in 8.6 gallons.

The Aqualine is expensive ($549 US plus shiping from North Carolina) compared to

an IMS

or Clarke, but it is huge, offers a degree of wind protection for the legs, is

extremely well

made, and has two petcocks so you can actually use all the fuel it carries. The

stock seat

fits perfectly, and it has an aluminum cross brace underneath it that straddles

the front

box frame member so that the tank is mounted very solid and won't move or shift

if you

drop it or tip over.

It's one of those cases where you pay more, but you do get what you pay for.

ride safe, ride often, ride far

Francois

Deals Gap, NC

I don't know the name of the dealer, though.

Oh, I think this is the dealer: http://www.sporttouringusa.com/ This is a site he lists in his profile. I couldn't find the tank listed on the site, though.

You can also email Francois, but I couldn't copy his email address from the DR650 group. If you login to the Yahoo DR650 site, and search Francois, you can click the email button when you open one of his posts, and you can email him.

The problem with the gas tanks is fuel likes to leech out of it in gaseous form,

Yeah I know about that. I'm not sure why some stuff doesn't bubble. Maybe it's just not letting the fuel out and is unaffected by gas vapor? I'm putting gallon markings on my tank with fusion paint, but I think they're too small to bubble. I'd like to see what it'll do on a tank just because it seems like it's chemically bonded to the plastic after it dries.

I just read a post on one of theyahoo DS groups- they said even Krylon bubbled on their plastic tank..

The only idea I had before was to coat the inside with some sort of sealant- or have a freind with a fiberglass shop make you a thin glass shell which fits perfectly over your tank. You can paint the shell up all nice and fancy, and pull it off when you go in the dirt :applause:

-Dave

Or maybe even a tank bra in the colour of choice. A cutout would allow fuel level viewing. There could even be matching tank panniers that could clip on or off. Any decent upholstery shop could easily sew one up. Hmmmmm....... :applause:

Yes I saw that about krylon, but that is just cheap spray can stuff after all. There's still the pro paint option which I know does not bubble, which would be a lot cheaper, easier and lighter than trying to make a shell.

I just read a post on one of theyahoo DS groups- they said even Krylon bubbled on their plastic tank..

The only idea I had before was to coat the inside with some sort of sealant- or have a freind with a fiberglass shop make you a thin glass shell which fits perfectly over your tank. You can paint the shell up all nice and fancy, and pull it off when you go in the dirt :applause:

-Dave

HI Snowman, I'm Thruxton on the Adventure riding forum and bubba on this one. I was the guy asking you about the tank and seat. Thanks for the advice got a ims tak and corbin on the way. I really enjoyed you're trip read. YOur the man dude. THe music man, he he.

Real name is RIck from Sacramento, goood day sir.

Anybody check out auxiliary tanks like they make for ATV's? I haven't dug too deep but I did find some decent tanks designed to bolt on to any rack. I thought this might be the answer to preserving the beauty of the metal tank and adding range for the occasional adventure. OK you would have to stop to fill up but it beats pushing :applause: They were pretty cheap too

I got the IMS tank and the Corbin seat on tonight. I had trouble with that gasket on the pet cock, crap. I thought about that O ring thing but the hole going into the tank is all hogged out for some reason so it would have just sucked up the o ring and it would not have done any good. I got this thing curling up and sticking out the sides. It was leaking earlier and I tightened the thing up a little more, so far so good or until it works itself out like yours did. This sucks big time. I'm really pissed. I have a hot water tank and gas heater in the garage, which makes this very dangerous. Not to mention IMS is aware of the problems with this gasket and they do nothing about it.

Mine looked like the hole might be too big for the o-ring, but it wasn't. The o-ring was just big enough to go around the hole. Call jesse at kientech.com , he puts pingel petcocks on IMS tanks. I'd check with him about getting a pingel and for advice installing it.

hey what brand of tank is the 5.5

That is the size I'm looking for, that 32 liters is too much and the others are only 4.0 stock is 3.2 so why spend the money.