Sign in to follow this  

ttr 230 or crf 230

currently shopping for a trail bike. Looking at the Yam TTR 230 and the Honda CRF 230...the weight and the 6 speed sound good on the Honda but not sure on how they are power wise...distance on a tank...reliability....value for purchase price. I am 245 lbs and 5'10" looking for mostly low speed fun with enough power to pull wheelies without having to dump the clutch and Yanking on bars. Any feedback would be appriatiated....also there is a super deal on a ttr 125 2004 brand new from local dealer but not sure about the power on this model...thanks in advance.....Wayne

Never ridden a TTR ... but own a 230. You sound like a big fella ... I doubt you would be happy with either one at your size. Recommend that you get a 250X or 450X if you want wheelie power on demand. I would also guess that at your size you would be very unhappy with the suspension on both after a few months of riding and would be looking to spend $$$ on mods.

If you don't have the money to bump up your purchase to an X ... and, you get the 230 ... look on the 230 forum for ideas on power increase (jetting, pipes, preload, etc).

Good luck ... hope you find what you are looking for.

TOG :applause:

I'm 6'0, 265 and own a bone stock CRF 230. It is a good bike, low maintainence, comfortable, and powerful enough to have fun. It is not a wheelie on command, jumping, rocketship power type racer. You can lift the front end but not like a 250x. It is great in the tight singletrack stuff, you can lug it around and it climbs well. There are not alot of after market stuff but you can tweek the performance and suspension abit. The Yamaha is a similar bike but seems the Honda has a better following here and resale might be a tad better when you decide you need more.

I think the 230 would be alright for you, wheelies with no effort isn't going to happen though, I'm 140 and can't just have it pull up without at least bouncing the forks.

I've had my 05 CRF230 for about 3 months now and have done everything short of a cam kit (Renthal bars, BBR Pipe, jetting, BBR Rev box, BBR Fork and Rear springs) and it's still not the wheelie machine or rocket. Still a fun bike but I'll be passing in on to my son soon. Next bike will be the CRF250X. Rod a bone stock on last weekend and now have the "itch" to get one. I've seen used in the $4500-$4800 range.

Best of luck

Hey i bought my 05 crf 230 amazing bike i weight 220 lbs. and im 60ft its awsome for jumps, i heard the tt-r has had some problems so get the honda really worht it to put a power up kit for wheelies

I have a ttr 230. I don't want to offend anyone; but, I don't think it has a lot of power out of the box. You most likely will want more power after you ride it for a while.

Unfortunatly, you can not modify the engine past the rev limiter. If the Rev limiter was adjustable or removable, I would put stiffer valve springs in, and go to town, with the RPM's.

I own an '06. I just let my teen ride it.

Get a 4-stroke 250R. You will thank me later.

Sincerely yours in ridding,

I'm your size and have had my 230f for a couple of months. I've done the uncorking and rejetting mods. I am perfectly happy with it, but then, I'm over 50 and not as crazy as the younger guys anymore.