Cold weather start - XR650L

Mine starts hard to after ony a week of sitting in the cold. Took it outside and washed it - then tried to start it - chuka-chuka-c-h-u-k-a .... click......pushed it into my shop, let it sit for maybe 2-3 minutes, chuka chuka pop, snort... chuka brrrroooom! full choke no throttle....

What type of charger do I need to keep my 650L battery in good shape over the winter??

My bike is out in the garage for the winter, where it's currently -15 C. What else should I do, other than take the battery out? Drain the carb? The gas is pretty fresh. Change the oil?

What type of charger do I need to keep my 650L battery in good shape over the winter??

My bike is out in the garage for the winter, where it's currently -15 C. What else should I do, other than take the battery out? Drain the carb? The gas is pretty fresh. Change the oil?

Battery Tender

IF you want to put a charger on it, it should be a trickle charher or one made for bikes. Trickle charging is slow charging at the rate of 2 amps or less,most newer charger have a selctable swicth for 6 or 12 volt and 2 or 6 amp charging. Yes you should change the oil if it is going to remain absolutely dormant for an extended period of time. Also fill the tank.

As for mine this winter in Washington state, I just start it every week or so and let things circulate and let the bike charge the battery. I will change the oil in the spring - (fresh oil is in it now) until then about all you can do is either start and take short rides on it, weather permitting, or store it and leave the battery on a trickle charger.

• 3 weeks later...

Before you park your bike, turn the petcock to off and let it run/idle until it goes dead. This uses up all the gas in the carb. Next time you start it, just turn the petcock on, which guarantees fresh gas. Using this technique, I haven't had a hard time starting it, although my stock L isn't exactly happy happy happy to start up on cold mornings.

Yes, neither is mine. I started it up this week at 0 degrees celsius (freezing point), and it really chugged and chugged before I got it going. It doesn't sound so good when the engine is turning over and not going. Is this hard on the engine?

Yes, neither is mine. I started it up this week at 0 degrees celsius (freezing point), and it really chugged and chugged before I got it going. It doesn't sound so good when the engine is turning over and not going. Is this hard on the engine?

It's not good for the starter.