230 for a big 12 yr old

I'm thinking of buying my son a crf230f. He's 12 and has been riding for about 3 yrs on a KLX 110. When I got the KLX he was already a little big for it, but I figured better too big for the bike than the other way around.

Now when he rides the KLX, he looks like one of those trained bears riding a tiny bicycle in the circus. He is > 5'9" and about 165 now and I can practically see him growing. (his feet are 14!!)

Anyway I know this is a very significant upgrade in bike and he'll have to learn to deal w/ the clutch. I'm a little worried this is too much bike for his age, but the crf150 is too small already and he's growing fast. Wondering what you folks riding it think..

tia.

he looks like one of those trained bears riding a tiny bicycle in the circus.

tia.

Hahaha nice visual! The 230 would be a great bike for him. He might want some taller bars soon. My son is coming off a xr80 & loves the 230. Climbing hills is so much easier.

If he rides a lot he'll be ready for even more bike than the 230 in a season or 2 but right now the 230 is the perfect bike.

:applause:

I saw a 12 yr old kid out there on a KTM 400. He could ride it. Most of the time. The next time I saw the group they were taking a break because the kid crashed & had the wind knocked out of him.

I think the 230 is a good safe transition from the smaller bike. Going from the 110 to a race bike is foolishness IMO & putting your boy at risk of serious injury.

:applause:

I took my buddy who is 5'9" (he claims.. actually a smidge shorter than my son) as a test sitter, and he could flat foot it. My boy has longer legs, I feel sure he'll be able to put his enormous feet down.

I feel better about the decision after reading the above posts. Nobody seems to think I'm a psycho for thinking of the 230 for a 12 yr old kid. In a few years, maybe another bump up and his little sister (who has already taken over the klx) will be ready for this 230.

I took my buddy who is 5'9" (he claims.. actually a smidge shorter than my son) as a test sitter, and he could flat foot it. My boy has longer legs, I feel sure he'll be able to put his enormous feet down.

I feel better about the decision after reading the above posts. Nobody seems to think I'm a psycho for thinking of the 230 for a 12 yr old kid. In a few years, maybe another bump up and his little sister (who has already taken over the klx) will be ready for this 230.

Ah, well for physical size it sounds like its just right. As for power - it has plenty of power, but not too much, its still a "play-bike".

I just rode with a kid that was 12 last week that was riding a crf450r-- and he rode it well.. Was as fast as all the big boys-- now with that said this was the biggest damn 12yr old i have ever seen-- he was 6ft --190 lbs and size 16 foot.. Im telling you the kid was a freak of nature-- but was a nice kid and a good rider --lol can you imagine how much that kid eats?

I just got the CRF230 for my son, age 15, 5'10', 175 lbs. He's never ridden before, but is very comfortable with the bike.

Given your son's riding experience, height, and weight, I imagine he'd be very comfortable on the bike. Your only concern would be the same as mine -- that he'd outgrow it too soon.

Hey, I'm selling mine and I see you're in VA too, feel free to PM if your interested. Pics of the bike are in my garage.

It was bought as my first bike with me being 5'10" and 190#'s. It doesn't give me any trouble what-so-ever. Very good, strong, reliable bike. :applause:

My son is 12 and a big guy too. He was riding a DRZ 125 (small wheel) and we are upgrading as well with either CRF or TTR230 (probably the CRF).

The CRF looks great on him. I think he'll get tired a little quicker on long rides in the woods but probably not for long. Pretty tame power delivery and as many said, you can mod it as needed...

remember. if he is not that experienced (u cant get that experienced on a 110 because the bike does not do much) never get a race bike. an xr 250 wouldnt be bad, but thats pushing it. the 230 willl really help him in his riding, and teach him a lot of the basics in riding more aggresively. once past the 230, then it would be a good idea to go to a 125, or a 250f (or 250x). but just because of size, dont get him the bigger bike. i have a friend that went from an xr 100 to a CR 250! he was definetly big enough for one (6 foot and 190 ish around 13..yes he was VERY big) and is now to scared to ever ride the bike (hes now 16). now he just rides his mom's quad all the time. so... to the point... never get a bike to big becasue of size. go by experience level.

Personally, I would get him a 250f. As long as he knows how to clutch he should be fine, he could flat foot one. I'm 5'9 and 160...I ride an 01 KX250. It's not too much power for me and I ride wide open most of the time searching for more power when I'm coming out of corners. A 250f sounds just perfect for him, the bike only goes as fast (or as much) as you twist the thottle. There was a 12 year old (weighs like 130)at a local track who was in the MX school and he was on a 250f. He was racing in the 125 class, and hasn't lost a race yet. I forget which class, 125C? or maybe 125B? Not sure, but he's fast.

Anyways, what I'm getting to, don't get the 230, get a 250f, my friend has a 230 (were 15) and all I can say is, that I hate it, handles horrbily and no power...heavy....it's made for a pure beginner I guess. Anywho, he's big enough for a 250f.

Personally, I would get him a 250f. As long as he knows how to clutch he should be fine, he could flat foot one. I'm 5'9 and 160...I ride an 01 KX250. It's not too much power for me and I ride wide open most of the time searching for more power when I'm coming out of corners. A 250f sounds just perfect for him, the bike only goes as fast (or as much) as you twist the thottle. There was a 12 year old (weighs like 130)at a local track who was in the MX school and he was on a 250f. He was racing in the 125 class, and hasn't lost a race yet. I forget which class, 125C? or maybe 125B? Not sure, but he's fast.

Anyways, what I'm getting to, don't get the 230, get a 250f, my friend has a 230 (were 15) and all I can say is, that I hate it, handles horrbily and no power...heavy....it's made for a pure beginner I guess. Anywho, he's big enough for a 250f.

I know a seven year old that can triple. I therefore recommend everyone go out & hit triples. :applause: At least it took a while this time.

I know you mean well but a something like a YZ250F would most likely be a terrible bike for this kid. Here's some of the down side to a race bike:

Too tall. (doesn't have the height or experience to componsate)

Too much hit on the bottom. (doesn't have the experience, sucks on single track)

Too much financial loss if quits riding. (2K depreciation instantly)

Stalls easy.

No button.

Premium gas at a minimum.

Higher maintenance.

Some of these will mostly go away with a skilled rider. The KLX he's coming off of doesn't even have a clutch & I'll guess about 7 hp on a good day.

The "better bike" isn't necessarily the "right bike".

:ride: