first ride on 06 TM 300

Took my 06 TM en300 out for the first part of the break in yesterday, and from the 2 hours I put on it only riding bottom to mid without hitting band, is this bike is simply awsome, theres plenty of hoof off the bottom but I can't tell you about the mid - top end because I'm still running it in.

the rear shock seems a bit soft compared to the front though (possibly just needs some clicker adjustment.

Even though the forks are fairly firm they were awsome when it came to riding across heaps of rocks, but the wierd part is that just getting some air over a 3 foot mound with a flat landing saw the fronts use nearly all there travel save for an inch and the rear bottom out and the tyre scrubed the pipe. (im only 75 kilos with all the gear on)

checked the sag without riding gear and the

static sag is 45mm

rider sag is 115 or 125 cant remember the figures for that one.

so these are out a bit and I will adjust them once I have a few hundred klms on the bike.

My last bike was an 04 530 en-e VOR and so far the TM has made the vor seem like a heavy tank. both in the air and on the ground.

TM steers better ( could be the fact that the vor had shit eco tyres and the TM has bridgstone 402/401 on it) but still its way easier to throw around.

Gearing will be shit for the open trails as standard is 13 -52 I believe

The best part about it is it started 1st kick every time as long as you get it

to TDC before you kick.

The only problems so far wich I feel is nothing is 1. its still leaking out of the power valve cover and this has been sealed once already since ive had it.

2 I farked up in tightening the spokes and my front rim is not true anymore..

Now to say that I am :applause: with the bike would be an understatement, and I cant wait to run the 3 tanks through it so I can get on the pipe and see how the top end goes..

All I can say is do yourself a favour and get yourself one.. :ride:

lukew,i have a 2002 TM 300E.i will offer some tips and you take for what you think they are worth.mine ran fat,had to be leaned out a lot.i use at least 2/3 race fuel.it is a different bike with it and runs cooler and revs out much farther.use a light weight gear oil,i use maxima 75 wt.lots of clutch drag.seems like tm uses softer springs in the suspension.i went stiffer front and rear and i weigh 180lb.very durable bike.congrats on such an excellent selection!dan.

Yeah defiantly is running rich off the bottom but the bike shop I got it from said that he wants it left like that till 3 tanks are through it then it can be leaned out and jetted properly.

not sure what Ron fuel you can get over there but I can get 98 Ron which isn't really that good, had a look at the price of elf because I was thinking of running that, but its way too dear, If it was being used as mx bike then I could afford it.

Will set the sag and fiddle with the clickers before I go changing the springs but will defiantly keep that in mind.

What surprised me was the amount of toque it has off the bottom, as the first ride I went on I was at a ride park and thought I had chosen the easy loop, but actually had gone up the int/advance loop which consisted of a rather rocky rutted out steep hill and it made its way up just using bottom to mid easy...needless to say we then got back to the easy loop asap as that wasn't the best way to break in a bike.

Sjokske, Congratulations, I hope all goes well with it, seems they have gone to a digital speedo now, but this stopped working 40 klm into the ride.

and the blue is slightly lighter, and also the seat isn't as round (not as square as Vor) and is fairly hard so you get a sore ass, but then this makes you want to stand up more which is a good thing. :applause:

If your 300E is anyhting like my 125E you will be pleasantly surprised with the top end. My bike absolutely screams. So much fun to just keep it revved real high and keep it there. Shifting is awesome with the 6 speed also. The suspension definitly doesnt seem to be soft on my bike however. Stiffer than my yz250f for sure. Also make sure you play with that air screw, wow do these things respond to little changes on that.

Jd jetting kit for the KTM300exc will wake it up. Check stator cover for water from time to time and I know of an '05 TM300 the factory put the power valve seal in backwards. If you let your linkage go to long without maintenance water will get in and scr*w your needle bearings which tend to be a lot more to replace than some others. Other than a few MINOR(stressed) things I have seen they are bulletproof and totally rip as good as they look.

Did I mention I'm jealous?

Do keep us posted as to how the bike settles in. Its tough to come by reviews of TM's...esp. the 2T's these days. Have you ridden a KTM 300 2T? Anyone ridden both and can compare?

I was in Italy this summer and went by the TM factory in Pesaro...wow what a cool experience. Neat place and the group there is phenominal. Its got me on the hunt for a TM.

I am crying, I have a TM125E waiting for a home (for sale) and all this talk makes me want to keep her... or look for another. I wish the 06 were around here in the USA

There are ways to get an '06 TM. There is a guy on the east coast that brings them in or you can get one thru Canada (they either require a deposit or full payment). Parts for TM's are available, but you had best be mechanically competant (know what parts are called and how to order them). I would love to have a new TM, but they are $$$$$.

Editorial comment on TM. I think that TM suffered in the US because of what they are. They sell you an incredible factory race bike, and expect that the owner knows enough to jet it for their area and revalve the suspension for their needs. That worked great for racers and guys that ride alot, because they are in the groove. Sadly, many guys that bought a TM bought it because it was exotic and they could afford it, but they had no idea about tuning anything, so they complained that it was pipey and the suspension didn't work.

LukeW, my experience is just like MotoXotica's. The bikes come set up rich and once the jetting is dialed (and suspension settings) you won't be happier. Funny thing about the spokes. The spokes on our rear wheel always tend to come loose but never the front. Oh well, I can live with that no problem.

regarding sprockets on the tm 300 e.i use 13/51.cant fit a 14 on the front.the 51 works good for mixed riding.we have lots big ills /mountains.some tighter technical stuff and some more open riding.i think if we had less hills and a little more open i would go down to a 50 on the rear.i think sothern cal/nevada type riding the 50 would be best.a 52 as the stocker deffinately seems to run out of gearing at speed especially when you get the jetting dialed.dan.

• 2 years later...

Congrats on your new ride, the new T.M. is sweet. A friend has a 07 300 which I rode. I was suffecienty impressed, that I would get a 250 2t if they were as cheap and or as available to me as a gasagas or if opportunity a-rises . He's on his fifth' or sixth one between him and his son so he's got the setup pretty much dialed exept he's way heavier than me ,270lbs,so when I did the big gap jump it was all good, then went terribly wrong on the rebound side of things, think over inflated basketball and you'll get the idea. Nice details on the bike as well. Ive taken to using the tm shifters on my gassers because of the superior design and durability. Happy trails

I had a 02 tm300mx that was tuned by coppersmith motorsports and it was the best running bike I have ever had but there is no dealerships near or around where i live so i sold it...when i got it nobody had even heard of a TM around here...the first time I unloaded at the woods the guys looked and was like what is that...then i unleashed and they were like dang that thing will get it!! I wish I still had it!!