Sign in to follow this  

starting issues

ive read just about as much as i can handle about the 2002 yz250f. but i still have one problem, I CANT START THE DAMN THING! the previous owner could hop on there and start it first or second kick like i could on my 125. but i can sit there kicking it all day and nver turn it over. is there something i am doing wrong? and yes i am doing the starting procedure correctly with the decomp and everything. thanks

-chris

no no no. the bike runs fine. if i bumpstart it. i just cant KICK start it

Get the cam for sure. It's a no-brainer there....

And keep your right hand in your pocket when kicking. If you have been a 2 stroke guy for life, you are twisting the throttle and don't know it. :applause:

I am new to the yz250f. But I noticed if I slowly bring down the kicker and work a litlle I will get the piston on TDS. It works every time. :applause:

Dude I HAD the same problem yesterday, I could not cold start my 02 if my life depended on it. Once it was warm, not problem. I am telling you to get the 03 exhaust cam mod and you will be the happiest guy alive. This is my first 4-stroke ever and I was kinda nervous about doing it but it was VERY EASY, I actually laughed at myself for being that worried. The 03 cam is the BEST mod you can get/do.

I just put the '03 cam in my sons bike and it's unbelievable. It starts so easy now it's crazy that I didn't do it sooner.

no no no. the bike runs fine. if i bumpstart it. i just cant KICK start it

Hot start plunger is stuck in the carb bore. Remove it, clean it and then put a light coating of grease on it before reinstalling

TDC is where the kick lever becomes very hard to push. This is were you use the decompression lever to just get past that point, then bring the lever back to the top, let out the decompression lever, dont touch the throtle, and kick. This becomes very easy once you get used to it. You just have to get the 2 stroke type of kick out of you. Make the kick a long smooth forcefull kick, not a quick jab at the kicker and it should start up in the first few kicks cold and the first or second warm. In addition, the 03 cam is not needed. I really do not think that it is that hard to start once you get used to it and i would rather put my money twards gas and riding fees. Have fun with the bike.

You've just got to learn what the bike wants through trial and error. We've got 2 2002's (WR & YZ) and run into odd situations. For example, if it starts when cold but you stall it for some reason after it runs for, say, 20 seconds, you may have to push in the choke (cold start) and pull the hot start. Like I say, it's just trial and error. And the 03 cam will NOT affect the carb settings required to get it started.

Lately my 02 has been a beast to start which I contribute to the cold weather. Then I was warming it up on the start gate and it stalled and then I couldn't get it started :applause: I ended up having to lay it over quick with the fuel off and then use the cold start.

Install a fresh plug, cold start, pull choke out, no throttle, kick 2-3 times. If your bike does not start, push in choke and kick again no throttle, it should start. If you think you've flooded your YZF try this, pull in and hold down your compression release and kick through 10-12 times. Try starting again with no choke and hot start pushed in. If it still does not start try the same sequence again this with the hot start out. Last resort to clear out a flooded cylinder, pull in and hold down your compression release and turn your throttle wide open and kick 10-12 times, this should clear out your flooded cylinder. Kick again with no choke or hot start. I've had success using one or a combination all of these hard starting techniques. Remember never blip the throttle! Hope this helps.

I got an 06 YZ and it starts 9 out of 10 time on the first kick so.... yeh auto decompression kicks ass! my cousin on his 02' has still has to do the piston to TDC thing all the time it sucks.

my cousin on his 02' has still has to do the piston to TDC thing all the time it sucks.

Your cousin should get the 03 exhaust cam mod if he/she plans to keep the bike for a little while longer.